Post-Disaster Redevelopment Planning: Local Capacity Building Through Pre-Event Planning
Sandy Meyer*, Eugene Henry**, Roy E.Wright***,
and Cynthia A. Palmer***
*State of Florida Division of Emergency Management, 2555 Shumard Oak Blvd, Tallahassee, Florida 32399, USA
**Planning and Growth Management, Hillsborough County, Florida, 5701 E. Hillsborough Ave., Suite 1140, Tampa, Florida 33610, USA
***Federal Emergency Management Agency, 1800 S. Bell St. Arlington, VA 20598-3030, USA
-  P. R. Berke and T. J. Campanella, “Planning for postdisaster resiliency,” The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 604, pp. 192-207, 2006.
-  Department of Homeland Security, & Federal Emergency Management Agency, “Long-term recovery planning process : A self-help guide,” Washington, D.C.: The Federal Emergency Management Agency, 2005.
-  Florida Department of Community Affairs, “Protecting Florida’s Communities – Land Use Planning Strategies and Best Development Practices for Minimizing Vulnerability to Flooding and Coastal Storms,” Tallahassee, Florida, 2005.
-  Florida Department of Community Affairs, “Post Disaster Redevelopment Planning, A Guide for Florida Communities,” Tallahassee, Florida (publication expected 2010).
-  Florida Department of Community Affairs, “Disaster Planning for Florida’s Historic Resources,” Tallahassee, Florida, 2006.
-  Florida Department of Community AffairsWeb Site,“Best Practices Guides,”
-  Florida Department of Community Affairs Web Site, “Focus Group Roster,”
-  Florida Department of Community Affairs Web Site, 2010, “Statutes and Rules,”
-  Florida Department of Community Affairs Web Site, 2010, “Overview,”
-  Federal EmergencyManagement Agency, “Multi-hazard Mitigation Planning Guidance Under the Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000,” March 2004.
-  Dennis S. Mileti, “Disasters by Design,” Washington, D.C.: The Joseph Henry Press, 233, 237, 1999.
-  Minnesota Department of Public Safety, “Recovery From Disaster Handbook,” St. Paul, MN, State of Minnesota, 2006,
-  Robert Olshansky, “Planning for Disasters,” Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol.68, No.4, pp. 453-454, 2002.
-  R. B. Olshansky, “Planning after hurricane Katrina,” Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol.72, No.2, pp. 147-153, 2006.
-  J. Petterson, “A review of the literature and programs on local recovery from disaster,” Boulder, Colorado: Natural Hazards Research and Applications Information Center, Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado, 1999.
-  Ana Puszkin-Chevlin, Mary Beth Burton, Ann Carlson, Mathew Kurry, and James F. Murley, “Living on the Edge: Coastal Storm Vulnerabilities of the Treasure Coast Barrier Islands,” Boca Raton, Florida: Florida Atlantic University, Center for Urban and Environmental Solutions, 2007.
-  Claire B. Rubin, Martin D. Saperstein, and Daniel G. Barbee, “Community Recovery from aMajor Natural Disaster,” Monograph No.41, Program on Environment and Behavior, Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, 1985.
-  Jim Schwab, with Kenneth C. Topping, Charles D. Eadie, Robert E. Deyle, and Richard A. Smith, “Planning for Post-Disaster Recovery and Reconstruction,” PAS Report Number 483/484, Chicago: American Planning Association, 53,75-76,155, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.