Tsunami Fragility — A New Measure to Identify Tsunami Damage —
Shunichi Koshimura*, Yuichi Namegaya**, and Hideaki Yanagisawa***
*Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University Aoba 6-6-11-1104, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Geological Survey of Japan, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology C7, 1-1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba 305-8567, Japan
***Tokyo Electric Power Services Co., Ltd. 3-3, Higashiueno 3-Chome, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0015, Japan
Tsunami fragility (fragility curve, or fragility function) is a new measure, we propose, for estimating structural damage and fatalities due to tsunami attack, by integrating satellite remote sensing, field survey, numerical modeling, and historical data analysis with geographic information system (GIS). Tsunami fragility is expressed as the structural damage probability or fatality ratio related to hydrodynamic features of tsunami inundation flow, such as inundation depth, current velocity and hydrodynamic force. It expands the capability of estimating potential tsunami damage in a quantitative manner.
-  N. Shuto, “Tsunami intensity and disasters,Tsunamis in the World,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 197-216, 1993.
-  H. Izuka and H. Matsutomi, “Damage estimation due to tsunami inundation flow,” Proceedings of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.47, pp. 381-385, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  R. Asakura, K. Iwase, T. Ikeya, M. Takao, N. Fujii, and M. Omori, “An experimental study on wave force acting on on-shore structures due to over flowing tsunamis,” Proceedings of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.47, pp. 911-915, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yeh, “Design Tsunami Forces for Onshore Structures,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 531-536, 2007.
-  J. Borrero, “Field survey of northern Sumatra and Banda Aceh, Indonesia after the tsunami and earthquake of 26 December 2004,” Seismological Research Letters, Vol.76, No.3, pp. 309-318, 2005.
-  H. Matsutomi, T. Sakakiyama, S. Nugroho, and M. Matsuyama, “Aspects of inundated flow due to the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.48, No.2, pp. 167-195, 2006.
-  Y. Tsuji, Y. Tanioka, H. Matsutomi, Y. Nishimura, T. Kamataki, Y. Murakami, T. Sakakiyama, A. Moore, G. Gelfenbaum, S. Nuguroho, B. Waluyo, I. Sukanta, R. Triyono, and Y. Namegaya, “Damage and height distribution of Sumatra earthquake — Tsunami of December 26, 2004, in Banda Aceh city and its environs,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 103-115, 2006.
-  K. Fujima, Y. Shigihara, T. Tomita, K. Honda, H. Nobuoka, M. Hanzawa, H. Fujii, H. Otani, S. Orishimo, M. Tatsumi, and S. Koshimura, “Survey results of the Indian Ocean tsunami in the Maldives,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.48, No.2, pp. 91-97, 2006.
-  K. Satake, T. T. Aung, Y. Sawai, Y. Okamura, K. S. Win, W. Swe, C. Swe, T. L. Swe, S. T. Tun, M. M. Soe, T. Z. Oo, and S. H. Zaw, “Tsunami heights and damage along the Myanmar coast from the December 2004 Sumatra-Andaman earthquake,” Earth, Planets and Space, Vol.58, pp. 243-252, 2006.
-  O. Murao and F. Yamazaki, “Development of fragility curves for buildings based on damage survey data of a local government after the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu earthquake,” Journal of Structural and Construction Engineering, Vol.527, pp. 189-196, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  M. Shinozuka, M. Q. Feng, J. Lee, and T. Naganuma, “Statistical analysis of fragility curves,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol.126, pp. 1224-1231, 2000.
-  Federal Emergency Management Agency, “Multi-hazard Loss Estimation Methodology, HAZUS-MH MR3 (Earthquake Model),” Technical Manual, pp. 5-35, 2003.
-  Japan International cooperation Agency (JICA), “The study on the urgent rehabilitation and reconstruction support program for Aceh province and affected areas in north Sumatra, Final Report (1),” Vol.IV : Data book, 2005.
-  T. Oie, S. Koshimura, H. Yanagisawa, and F. Imamura, “Numerical modeling of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and damage assessment in Banda Aceh,” Indonesia, Annual Journal of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.53, pp. 221-225, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  S. Koshimura, T. Oie, H. Yanagisawa, and F. Imamura, “Developing fragility functions for tsunami damage estimation using numerical model and post-tsunami data from Banda Aceh, Indonesia,” Coastal Engineering Journal, No.3, pp. 243-273, 2009.
-  I. Aida, “Reliability of a tsunami source model derived from fault parameters,” Journal of Physics of the Earth, Vol.26, pp. 57-73, 1978.
-  K. R. Karim, and F. Yamazaki, “A simplified method of constructing fragility curves for highway bridges, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics,” Vol.32, pp. 1603-1626, 2003.
-  M. Saatcioglu, A. Ghobarah, and I. Nistor, “Performance of structures in Indonesia during the December 2004 great Sumatra earthquake and Indian Ocean tsunami,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.22, No.3, pp. S295-S319, 2006.
-  Y. Namegaya and Y. Tsuji, “Distributions of the Swept Away Houses in Banda Aceh City, Indonesia, due to the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami Estimated by Satellite Images,” Annual Journal of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.53, pp. 286-290, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  T. Iki, “Field survey of Sanriku tsunami disasters, Bulletin of the Imperial Earthquake Investigation Committee,” Vol.11, pp. 5-34, 1896 (in Japanese).
-  F. Yamashita, “Tragic histories of great Sanriku tsunami disasters,” Seijisha, 413p. 1982 (in Japanese).
-  Earthquake Research Institute, “Reports on the 3 March, Showa 8 Sanriku tsunami,” Bulletin of the Earthquake Research Institute, Tokyo Imperial University, Supplementary Vol.1, 248p., 1934 (in Japanese).
-  Japan Meteorological Agency, Sendai Branch, “Report of the 24 May, Showa 35, Chilean earthquake tsunami,” 1961 (in Japanese).
-  Iwate Prefectural Government, “Report of the recovery process from the 1960 Chilean earthquake tsunami disaster,” 251p., 1969 (in Japanese).
-  T. Hatori, “Damage probability of houses by tsunamis,” Bulletin of the Earthquake Research Institute, Vol.59, pp. 433-439, 1984 (in Japanese).
-  N. Shuto, “Evolution of tsunami disasters,” Tsunami Engineering Technical Report, Tohoku University, Vol.4, pp. 1-41, 1987a (in Japanese).
-  N. Shuto and C. Goto, “Field survey of great Sanriku tsunami — from Raga, Hiraiga, Shimanokoshi, Omoto and Shimokonari,” Tsunami Engineering Technical Report, Tohoku University, Vol.2, pp. 39-45, 1985a (in Japanese).
-  N. Shuto and C. Goto, “Field survey of great Sanriku tsunami — from Okkirai,” Tsunami Engineering Technical Report, Tohoku University, Vol.2, pp. 46-53, 1985b (in Japanese).
-  F. Imamura, C. Goto, and N. Shuto, “Study on Numerical Tsunami Forecasting System — Accuracy of numerical models,” Tsunami Engineering Technical Report, Tohoku University, Vol.3, pp. 23-87, 1986 (in Japanese).
-  N. Shuto, J. Sayama, and K. Fujima, “Field survey of great Sanriku tsunami — from Ofunato,” Tsunami Engineering Technical Report, Tohoku University, Vol.4, pp. 101-113, 1987b (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.