Tsunami Bore Impingement onto a Vertical Column
Halldor Arnason*, Catherine Petroff**, and Harry Yeh***
*Verkis Consulting, Armuli 4, 108 Reykjavik, Iceland
**LP4 Associates LLC, P.O. Box 1331, Mercer Island, WA, 98040, USA
***School of Civil & Construction Engineering, Oregon State University 220 Owen Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331-3212, USA
-  S. Hibberd and D. H. Peregrine, “Surf and run-up on a beach: a uniform bore,” J Fluid Mech Vol.95, pp. 323-45, 1979.
-  J. F. Lander, L. S. Whiteside, P. A. Lockridge et al., “Two Decades of Global Tsunamis, 1982-2002,” Science of Tsunami Hazards, the International Journal of the Tsunami Society, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 3-82, 2003.
-  A. Ritter, “Die Fortpflanzung der Wasserwellen (The propagation of water waves),” Z Ver Dtsch Ing Vol.36, No.33, pp. 947-954, 1892.
-  F. Alcrudo, “A State of The Art Review on Mathematical Modelling of Flood Propagation,” Presented at First IMPACT project workshop. Wallingford, UK. p. 22,
-  J. J. Stoker, “Water Waves; The Mathematical Theory with Applications,” Interscience Publishers, New York, 1957.
-  F. M. Henderson, “Open Channel Flow,” Macmillan Publishing Co., New York, New York, pp522, 1966.
-  G. B. Whitham, “Linear and Nonlinear Waves,” a Wiley-Interscience Pub., New York, pp636, 1974.
-  L. K. Forbes and L. W. Schwartz, “Supercritical Flow Past Blunt Bodies in Shallow Water,” Z Angew Math Phys Vol.32, No.3, pp. 314-28, 1981.
-  G. Yu, E. J. Avital, and J. J. R. Williams, “Large Eddy Simulation of Flow Past Free Surface Piercing Circular Cylinders,” J Fluids Eng Trans ASME Vol.130, No.10, pp. 1013041-1013049, 2008.
-  M. Tseng, C. Yen, and C. C. S. Song, “Computation of Three-Dimensional Flow Around Square and Circular Piers,” Int J Numer Methods Fluids Vol.34, No.3, pp. 207-227, 2000.
-  C. Dalton and W. Zheng, “ Numerical Solutions of a Viscous Uniform Approach Flow Past Square and Diamond Cylinders,” J Fluids Struct Vol.18, Nos.3-4, pp. 455-465, 2003.
-  A. Sohankar, “Flow Over a Bluff Body from Moderate to High Reynolds Numbers Using Large Eddy Simulation,” Comput Fluids Vol.35, No.10, pp. 1154-68, 2006.
-  P. K. Mohapatra and M. H. Chaudhry, “Numerical Solution of Boussinesq Equations to Simulate Dam-Break Flows,” J Hydraul Eng Vol.130, No.2, pp. 156-159, 2004.
-  F. Federico and A. Amoruso, “Impact Between Fluids and Solids. Comparison Between Analytical and FEA Results,” Int J Impact Eng Vol.36, No.1, pp. 154-164, 2009.
-  H. Yeh, A. Ghazali, and I. Marton, “Experimental Study of Bore Run-Up,” J Fluid Mech Vol.206, pp. 563-578, 1989.
-  H. G. Hornung, C. Willert, and S. Turner, “The Flow Field Downstream of a Hydraulic Jump,” J Fluid Mech Vol.287, pp. 299-316, 1995.
-  I. A. Svendsen, J. Veeramony, and J. Bakunin, “The Flow in Weak Turbulent Hydraulic Jumps,” J Fluid Mech Vol.418, pp. 25-57, 2000.
-  G. Lauber and W. H. Hager, “Experiments to Dambreak Wave: Horizontal Channel,” J Hydraul Res/Rech Hydraul Vol.36, No.3, pp. 291-307, 1998.
-  C. Koch and H. Chanson, “Turbulent Mixing Beneath an Undular Bore Front,” J Coast Res Vol.24, No.4, pp. 999-1007, 2008.
-  B. Dargahi, “Turbulent Flow Field Around a Circular Cylinder,” Exp Fluids Vol.8, Nos.1-2, pp. 1-12, 1989.
-  M. A. F. Sadeque, N. Rajaratnam, and M. R. Loewen, “Flow Around Cylinders in Open Channels,” J Eng Mech Vol.134, No.1, pp. 60-71, 2008.
-  R. Reinauer and W. H. Hager, “Supercritical Flow Behind Chute Piers,” J Hydraul Eng Vol.120, No.11, pp. 1292-1308, 1994.
-  R. H. Cross, “Tsunami Surge Forces,” ASCE Proc, J Waterw Harb Div Vol.93, pp. 201-231, 1967.
-  Y. Fukui, M. Nakamura, and H. Shiraishi, “Hydraulic Study on Tsunami,” Coast Eng Jpn Vol.6, pp. 67-82, 1963.
-  S. Nakamura and Y. Tsuchiya, “On Shock Pressure of Surge on a Wall,” Bull. Disaster Prevention Res. Inst., Kyoto Univ., Vol.23, Parts 3-4, No.12, pp. 47-58, 1973.
-  R. Asakura, K. Iwase, T. Ikeya, M. Takao, T. Kaneto, N. Fujii, and M. Ohmori, “The Tsunami Wave Force Acting on Land Structures,” Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Coastal Engineering. Cardiff, Wales, pp. 1191-1202, 2002.
-  J. D. Ramsden, “Tsunamis: Forces on a Vertical Wall Caused by Long Waves, Bores, and Surges on a Dry Bed,” PhD Thesis, Calif Inst Tech, 1993.
-  J. D. Ramsden and F. Raichlen, “Forces on Vertical Wall Caused by Incident Bores,” J Waterway Port Coast Ocean Eng Vol.116, No.5, pp. 592-613, 1990.
-  J. S. McNown and G. H. Keulegan, “Vortex Formation and Resistance in Periodic Motion,” Proc ASCE J Eng Mech Div Vol.85, pp. 1-6, 1956.
-  V. I. Bukreev and V. V. Zykov, “Bore impact on a vertical plate,” J Appl Mech Tech Phys Vol.49, No.6, pp. 926-933, 2008.
-  J. Wienke and H. Oumeraci, “Breaking Wave Impact Force on a Vertical and Inclined Slender Pile - Theoretical and Large-Scale Model Investigations,” Coast Eng Vol.52, No.5, pp. 435-462, 2005.
-  S. Gardarsson, “Shallow-Water Sloshing,” PhD Thesis, Univ of Wash, 1997.
-  H. Arnason, “Interactions between an incident bore and a free-standing coastal structure,” PhD Thesis, Univ Wash., 2005.
-  D. M. Causon, D. M. Ingram, and C. G. Mingham, “Calculation of Shallow Water Flows Using a Cartesian Cut Cell Approach,” Adv Water Resour Vol.23, No.5, pp. 545-562, 2000.
-  H. Yeh, “Design Tsunami Forces for Onshore Structures,” J Disaster Res Vol.2, No.6, pp. 531-536, 2007.
-  S. K. Chakrabarti, K. K. Debus, J. Berkoe, and B. Rosendall, “CFD Analysis of Current-Induced Loads on Large Caisson at Supercritical Reynolds Number,” J. Offshore Mech. Arctic Engr. Vol.127, No.111, pp. 104-111, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.