Long-Term Changes in Precipitation in Japan
Third Laboratory, Forecast Research Dept., Meteorological Research Inst., JMA, 1-1 Nagamine, Tsukuba 305-0052, Japan
This paper explores features of long-term changes in precipitation in Japan based on recent studies using daily data from 51 stations since 1901, partly updated for the present article. We show that heavy daily precipitation (≧ 200 mm and ≧ 100 mm) has significantly increased during the last century as weak to moderate precipitation (≧ 1 mm to ≧ 10 mm) has decreased. New analysis using hourly precipitation records at over 600 stations on the AMeDAS network has shown an increase in very intense hourly and six-hourly precipitations (≧100 mm/h and ≧300 mm/6h) during the last 28 years. It also shows that the trend in the spatial concentration of precipitation during the last century has been increasing, as have changes in the pattern of diurnal variation of precipitation, characterized by a relative increase in precipitation amounts in early morning and a decrease in early afternoon.
-  P. Y. Groisman, R. W. Knight, D. R. Easterling, T. R. Karl, G. C. Hegerl, and V. N. Razuvaev, “Trends in Intense Precipitation in the Climate Record,” J. Climate, Vol.18, pp. 1343-1367, 2005.
-  L. V. Alexander, X. Zhang, T. C. Peterson, J. Caesar, B. Gleason, A. M. G. Klein Tank, M. Haylock, D. Collins, B. Trewin, F. Rahimzadeh, A. Tagipour, K. Rupa Kumar, J. Revadekar, G. Griffiths, L. Vincent, D. B. Stephenson, J. Burn, E. Aguilar, M. Brunet, M. Taylor, M. New, P. Zhai, M. Rusticucci, and J. L. Vazquez-Aguirre, “Global Observed Changes in Daily Climate Extremes of Temperature and Precipitation,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.111, D05109, doi:10.1029/2005JD006290, 2006.
-  P. Frich, L. V. Alexander, P. Della-Marta, B. Gleason, M. Haylock, A.M. G. Klein Tank, and T. Peterson, “Observed Coherent Changes in Climatic Extremes During the Second Half of the Twentieth Century,” Clim. Res., Vol.19, pp. 193-212, 2002.
-  IPCC, “Climate change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the IPCC (Solomon, S. et al. eds.),” Cambridge University Press, 1056pp., 2007.
-  JMA, “Report on Recent Climatic Change in the World 2005,” Japan Meteorological Agency, 374pp., 2005
(in Japanese; available from http://www.data.kishou.go.jp/climate/cpdinfo/climate change/2005/index2.html).
-  M. Kimoto, N. Yasutomi, C. Yokoyama, and S. Emori, “Projected Changes in Precipitation Characteristics around Japan Under the GlobalWarming,” SOLA, Vol.1, pp. 85-88, doi: 10.2151/sola.2005-023, 2005.
-  K.-O. Boo, W.-T. Kwon, and H.-J. Baek, “Change of Extreme Events of Temperature and Precipitation over Korea Using Regional Projection of Future Climate Change,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.33, L01701, doi:10.1029/2005GL023378, 2006.
-  T. Iwashima, and R. Yamamoto, “A Statistical Analysis of the Extreme Events: Long-Term Trend of Heavy Daily Precipitation,” J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.71, pp. 637-640, 1993.
-  S. Kanae, T. Oki, and A. Kashida, “Changes in Hourly Heavy Precipitation at Tokyo from 1890 to 1999,” J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.82, pp. 241-247, 2004.
-  H. Suzuki, “Trend in the Frequency of Heavy Rainfall Events during the Last Half Century over Japan,” Tenki, Vol.51, pp. 805-816, 2004 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  H. Takahashi, “Secular Variation in the Occurrence Property of Summertime Daily Rainfall Amount in and around the Tokyo Metropolitan Area,” Tenki, Vol.50, pp. 31-41, 2003. (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  A. Noda, and T. Tokioka, “The Effect of Doubling the CO2 Concentration on Convective and Non-Convective Precipitation in a General Circulation Model Coupled with a Simple Mixed Layer Ocean Model,” J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.67, pp. 1057-1069, 1989.
-  S. Brinkop, “Aspects of Convective Activity and Extreme Events in a Transient Climate Change Simulation,” Meteorol. Z., Vol.11, pp. 323-333, 2002.
-  S.-K. Min, S. Legutke, A. Hense, U. Cubasch, W.-T. Kwon, J.-H. Oh, and U. Schlese, “East Asian Climate Change in the 21st Century as Simulated by the Coupled Climate Model ECHO-G under IPCC SRES Scenarios,” J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.84, pp. 1-26, 2006.
-  F. Fujibe, “Diurnal Variation of Precipitation and Thunderstorm Frequency in Japan in theWarm Season,” Pap. Meteorol. Geophys., Vol.39, pp. 79-94, 1988.
-  A. Dai, “Recent Changes in the Diurnal Cycle of Precipitation over the United States,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.26, pp. 341-344, 1999.
-  Q. Hu, “A Multidecadal Variation in Summer Season Diurnal Rainfall in the Central United States,” J. Climate, Vol.16, pp.174-178, 2003.
-  H.-S. Jung, G.-H. Lim, and J.-H. Oh, “Interpretation of the Transient Variations in the Time Series of Precipitation Amounts of Seoul: Part I. Diurnal variation,” J. Climate, Vol.14, pp. 2989-3004, 2001.
-  A. Kitoh and O. Arakawa, “Reduction in Tropical Rainfall Diurnal Variation by Global Warming Simulated by a 20-km Mesh Climate Model,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.32, L18709, doi:10.1029/2005GL023350, 2005.
-  F. Fujibe, N. Yamazaki, M. Katsuyama, and K. Kobayashi, “The Increasing Trend of Intense Precipitation in Japan Based on Four-Hourly Data for a Hundred Years,” SOLA, Vol.1, pp. 41-44, doi: 10.2151/sola.2005-012, 2005.
-  F. Fujibe, N. Yamazaki, and K. Kobayashi, “Long-Term Changes in the Diurnal Precipitation Cycles in Japan for 106 Years (1898-2003),” J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.84, pp. 311-317, 2006.
-  F. Fujibe, N. Yamazaki, and K. Kobayashi, “Long-Term Changes of Heavy Precipitation and Dry Weather in Japan (1901-2004),” J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.84, pp. 1033-1046, 2006.
-  F. Fujibe and K. Kobayashi, “Long-Term Changes in the Spatial Concentration of Daily Precipitation in Japan,” SOLA, Vol.3, pp. 53-56, doi:10.2151/sola.2007-014, 2007.
-  T. R. Karl and R. W. Knight, “Secular Trends of Precipitation Amount, Frequency, and Intensity in the United States,” Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., Vol.79, pp. 231-241, 1998.
-  M. Brunetti, M. Maugeri, F. Monti, and T. Nanni, “Changes in Daily Precipitation Frequency and Distribution in Italy over the Last 120 Years,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.109, D05102, doi:10.1029/2003JD004296, 2004.
-  P. Zhai, X. Zhang, H. Wan, and X. Pan, “Trends in Total Precipitation and Frequency of Daily Precipitation Extremes over China,” J. Climate, Vol.18, pp. 1096-1108, 2005.
-  F. Fujibe, N. Yamazaki, and M. Katsuyama, “Long-Term Trends in the Diurnal Cycles of Thunder Frequency in Japan,” Tenki, Vol.52, pp. 235-239, 2005 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Y. Misumi, “Diurnal Variations of Precipitation Grouped into Cloud Categories around the Japanese Archipelago in the Warm Season,” J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.77, pp. 615-635, 1999.
-  F. Fujibe, “Diurnal Variation in the Frequency of Heavy Precipitation in Japan,” J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn., Vol.77, pp. 1137-1149, 1999.
-  K. Yasuda, “Climatological Features of the Heavy Rainfall Intensity (above 50 mm/hr) in Japan,” Tenki, Vol.17, pp. 539-548, 1970 (in Japanese).