Fuzzy Cooperative Control for the Stabilization of the Rotating Inverted Pendulum System
School of Automation, Beijing Institute of Technology
5 South Street, Zhongguancun, Haidian District, Beijing 100081, China
The rotating inverted pendulum is a nonlinear, multivariate, strongly coupled unstable system, and studying it can effectively reflect many typical control problems. In this paper, a parameter self-tuning fuzzy controller is proposed to perform the balance control of a single rotating inverted pendulum. Particle swarm optimization is used to adjust its control parameters, and simulation experiments are performed to show that the system can achieve stability with the designed parametric self-tuning fuzzy controller, with control performance better than that of the conventional fuzzy controller. Furthermore, the leader-follower control strategy is used to realize the cooperative control of multiple rotating inverted pendulums. Two QUBE-Servo 2 rotating inverted pendulums are used for a cooperative pendulum swing-up experiment and stabilization experiment, and the effectiveness of the proposed cooperative control strategy is verified.
-  J.-L. Yin, “Research on the Optimization PID Parameters Based on Genetic Algorithm,” J. of Convergence Information Technology, Vol.7, No.11, pp. 81-88, 2012.
-  J. Rubi, Á. Rubio, and A. Avello, “Swing-Up Control Problem for a Self-Erecting Double Inverted Pendulum,” IEE Proc. – Control Theory and Applications, Vol.149, No.2, pp. 169-175, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-cta:20020326
-  K. Chakraborty et al., “Case Study of Various Parameters by Applying Swing Up Control for Inverted Pendulum,” Indonesian J. of Electrical Engineering and Informatics, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 167-171, 2015. http://doi.org/10.52549/ijeei.v3i3.148
-  P. Ordaz, E. S. Espinoza, and F. Muñoz, “Research on Swing up Control Based on Energy for the Pendubot System,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.136, No.4, Article No.041018, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4026658
-  E. Susanto, A. S. Wibowo, and E. G. Rachman, “Fuzzy Swing Up Control and Optimal State Feedback Stabilization for Self-Erecting Inverted Pendulum,” IEEE Access, Vol.8, pp. 6496-6504, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2963399
-  Y. Zheng, X. Li, and L. Xu, “Balance Control for the First-Order Inverted Pendulum Based on the Advantage Actor-Critic Algorithm,” Int. J. of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol.18, No.12, pp. 3093-3100, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-019-0278-z
-  H.-K. Joung and J. Lee, “PID Controller Design Using LQR Method in the Inverted Pendulum,” Advanced Science Letters, Vol.22, No.11, pp. 3377-3380, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1166/asl.2016.7888
-  L. B. Prasad, B. Tyagi, and H. O. Gupta, “Optimal Control of Nonlinear Inverted Pendulum System Using PID Controller and LQR: Performance Analysis Without and with Disturbance Input,” Int. J. of Automation and Computing, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 661-670, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11633-014-0818-1
-  K. Razzaghi and A. A. Jalali, “A New Approach on Stabilization Control of an Inverted Pendulum, Using PID Controller,” Advanced Materials Research, Vols.403-408, pp. 4674-4680, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.403-408.4674
-  J. W. Watts, “Control of an Inverted Pendulum,” Proc. of the 92nd ASEE Annual Conf., pp. 706-710, 1984.
-  H.-M. Liu and C.-F. Zhang, “Stability Control and Realization of Single Link Rotary Inverted Pendulum on LQR Controller,” J. of Central South University (Science and Technology), Vol.43, No.9, pp. 3496-3501, 2012 (in Chinese).
-  R. Ramakrishnan and D. S. Nachimuthu, “Design of State Feedback LQR Based Dual Mode Fractional-Order PID Controller Using Inertia Weighted PSO Algorithm: For Control of an Underactuated System,” J. of the Institution of Engineers (India): Series C, Vol.102, No.6, pp. 1403-1417, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40032-021-00756-x
-  K. E. Barber, J. F. Adams, and L. D. Sosinski, “Control of Incontinent Urine by Using External Drainage,” American J. of Nursing, Vol.49, No.8, pp. 526-527, 1949.
-  Y. Tang, D. Zhou, and W. Jiang, “A New Fuzzy-Evidential Controller for Stabilization of the Planar Inverted Pendulum System,” PLoS ONE, Vol.11, No.8, Article No.e0160416, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0160416
-  X. Su et al., “Event-Triggered Fuzzy Control of Nonlinear Systems with its Application to Inverted Pendulum Systems,” Automatica, Vol.94, pp. 236-248, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2018.04.025
-  C. Peng and D. Yue, “Network-Based Optimal Controller Design Based on QoS,” Acta Automatica Sinica, Vol.33, No.2, pp. 214-217, 2007 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.1360/aas-007-0214
-  W. Zhang, M. S. Branicky, and S. M. Phillips, “Stability of Networked Control Systems,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 84-99, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/37.898794
-  D. Wang et al., “Distributed Convex Optimization for Nonlinear Multi-Agent Systems Disturbed by a Second-Order Stationary Process Over a Digraph,” Science China Information Sciences, Vol.65, No.3, Article No.132201, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11432-020-3111-4
-  L. Hachemi, M. Guiatni, and A. Nemra, “Fault Diagnosis and Reconfiguration for Mobile Robot Localization Based on Multi-Sensors Data Fusion,” Unmanned Systems, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 69-91, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1142/S2301385022500042
-  G. Wen et al., “Consensus Tracking for Higher-Order Multi-Agent Systems with Switching Directed Topologies and Occasionally Missing Control Inputs,” Systems & Control Letters, Vol.62, No.12, pp. 1151-1158, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sysconle.2013.09.009
-  Y. Wang et al., “Cooperative Control of Rotating Inverted Pendulum Based on Fuzzy Control,” 10th Int. Symp. on Computational Intelligence and Industrial Applications (ISCIIA 2022), Article No.A5-1, 2022.
-  D. Yang, “Tuning of PID Parameters Based on Particle Swarm Optimization,” IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol.452, No.4, Article No.042179, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/452/4/042179
-  M. R. Dastranj, M. Rouhani, and A. Hajipoor, “Design of Optimal Fractional Order PID Controller Using PSO Algorithm,” Int. J. of Computer Theory and Engineering, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 429-432, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7763/IJCTE.2012.V4.499
-  J. John and C. S. Kumar, “A Comparative Study of Genetic Algorithm and Particle Swarm Optimization Based Optimizations of PID Controller Parameters,” Int. J. of Soft Computing and Engineering, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 73-76, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.