Enhanced Service Discovery Model for Wireless Mesh Networks
Lungisani Ndlovu, Okuthe P. Kogeda, and Manoj Lall
Tshwane University of Technology
Private Bag X680, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Wireless mesh networks (WMNs) are the only cost-effective networks that support seamless connectivity, wide area network (WAN) coverage, and mobility features. However, the rapid increase in the number of users on these networks has brought an upsurge in competition for available resources and services. Consequently, factors such as link congestion, data collisions, link interferences, etc. are likely to occur during service discovery on these networks. This further degrades their quality of service (QoS). Therefore, the quick and timely discovery of these services becomes an essential parameter in optimizing the performance of service discovery on WMNs. In this paper, we present the design and implementation of an enhanced service discovery model that solves the performance bottleneck incurred by service discovery on WMNs. The proposed model integrates the particle swarm optimization (PSO) and ant colony optimization (ACO) algorithms to improve QoS. We use the PSO algorithm to assign different priorities to services on the network. On the other hand, we use the ACO algorithm to effectively establish the most cost-effective path whenever each transmitter has to be searched to identify whether it possesses the requested service(s). Furthermore, we design and implement the link congestion reduction (LCR) algorithm to define the number of service receivers to be granted access to services simultaneously. We simulate, test, and evaluate the proposed model in Network Simulator 2 (NS2), against ant colony-based multi constraints, QoS-aware service selection (QSS), and FLEXIble Mesh Service Discovery (FLEXI-MSD) models. The results show an average service discovery throughput of 80%, service availability of 96%, service discovery delay of 1.8 s, and success probability of service selection of 89%.
-  G. M. Komba, O. P. Kogeda, and T. Zuva, “A New Gateway Location Protocol for Mesh Networks,” Proc. of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science, San Francisco, USA, pp. 713-718, 2014.
-  P. H. Pathak and R. Dutta, “A Survey of Network Design Problems and Joint Design Approaches in Wireless Mesh Networks,” IEEE Communications surveys & tutorials, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 396-428, 2011.
-  F. Ahmad and S. Khalid, “Scalable Design of Service Discovery Mechanism for an Ad-Hoc Network Using Wireless Mesh Network,” Int. J. of Smart Sensors and Ad-Hoc Networks, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 95-99, 2012.
-  L. Ndlovu, M. Lall, and O. P. Kogeda, “A Review of Service Discovery Schemes in Wireless Mesh Networks,” Proc. of IST-Africa, Durban, South Africa, pp. 1-7, 2016.
-  L. Ndlovu, M. Lall, and O. P. Kogeda, “An Improved Ant-Based Service Discovery Model for Wireless Mesh Networks,” Proc. of Southern Africa Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conf. (SATNAC), George, Western Cape South Africa, pp. 32-37, 2016.
-  A. N. Mian, R. Baldoni, and R. Beraldi, “A Survey of Service Discovery Protocols in Multihop Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 66-74, 2009.
-  O. P. Kogeda, J. I. Agbinya, and C. W. Omlin, “Impacts and Cost of Faults on Services in Cellular Networks,” International Conf. on Mobile Business (ICMB 2005), Australia, pp. 551-555, 2005.
-  O. P. Kogeda, J. I. Agbinya, and C. W. Omlin, “A Probabilistic Approach to Faults Prediction in Cellular Networks,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Networking, Int. Conf. on Systems and Int. Conf. on Mobile Communications and Learning Technologies (ICN/ICONS/MCL 2006), Mauritius, pp. 130-130, 2006.
-  O. P. Kogeda and J. I. Agbinya, “Cellular Network Faults and Services Dependency Modeling,” Int. Magazine on Advances in Computer Science and Telecommunications, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 15-22, 2010.
-  N. Kumar, R. Iqbal, N. Chilamkurti, and A. James, “An Ant Based Multi-Constraints QoS-Aware Service Selection Algorithm in Wireless Mesh Networks,” Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory, Vol.19, No.9, pp. 1933-1944, 2011.
-  M. Krebs, “Dynamic Virtual Backbone Management for Service Discovery in Wireless Mesh Networks,” 2009 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking, Budapest, Hungary, pp. 1-6, 2009.
-  M. Krebs and K. H. Krempels, “Optimistic On-Demand Cache Replication for Service Discovery in Wireless Mesh Networks,” 2009 6th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, pp. 1-5, 2009.
-  F. Zhu, M. W. Mutka, and L. M. Ni, “Service Discovery in Pervasive Computing Environments,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 81-90, 2005.
-  M. Zakarya and I. Rahman, “A Short Overview of Service Discovery Protocols for MANETs,” VAWKUM Trans. on Computer Sciences, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 1-6, 2013.
-  H. Wirtz, T. Heer, M. Serror, and K. Wehrle, “DHT-Based Localized Service Discovery in Wireless Mesh Networks,” 2012 IEEE 9th Int. Conf. on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2012), Las Vegas, Nevada USA, pp. 19-28, 2012.
-  S. S. Manvi, M. S. Kakkasageri, and C. V. Mahapurush, “Performance Analysis of AODV, DSR, and Swarm Intelligence Routing Protocols in Vehicular Ad Hoc Network Environment,” Int. Conf. on Future Computer and Communication, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 21-25, 2009.
-  V. R. Shruthi and S. R. Hemanth, “Simulation of ACO Technique Uusing NS2 Simulator,” Int. J. of Engineering Trends and Technology, Vol.23, No.8, pp. 403-406, 2015.
-  V. Selvi and D. R. Umarani, “Comparative Analysis of Ant Colony and Particle Swarm Optimization Techniques,” Int. J. of Computer Applications, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 1-6, 2010.
-  R. C. Eberhart and J. Kennedy, “A New Optimizer Using Particle Swarm Theory,” Proc. of the 6th Int. Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, Nagoya, Japan, pp. 39-43, 1995.
-  M. Dorigo, G. Di Caro, and L. M. Gambardella, “Ant Algorithms for Discrete Optimization,” Artificial Life, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 137-172, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.