The Possibility and Challenges for Deaf-Blind Individuals to Enjoy Films in Theater
Sawako Nakajima*1, Naoyuki Okochi*2, Naoko Iizumi*3, Motohiko Tsuru*4, Kazutaka Mitobe*1, and Tetsujiro Yamagami*5
*1Graduate School of Engineering Science, Akita University
1-1 Tegatagakuen-machi, Akita-city, Akita 010-8502, Japan
*2Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8904, Japan
*3Department of Advanced Studies in Anthropology, National Museum of Ethnology
10-1 Senri Expo Park, Suita, Osaka 565-8511, Japan
*4Social Welfare Corporation, Yuukari
1005 Okanohara-cho, Kagoshima-city, Kagoshima 891-1201, Japan
*5Media Access Support Center, NPO
2-9-1 Chuo, Nakano-ku, Tokyo 164-0011, Japan
-  The Japan Deafblind Association, “Survey Report on Actual Conditions of Deaf-Blind People,” 2012th Comprehensive Welfare project for Persons with disabilities, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  S. Iori, “Hope for Amended Basic Law for Persons with Disabilities from a Viewpoint of Deaf-Blindness,” Normalization: Welfare for Persons with Disabilities, Vol.29, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  M. P. J. Vervloed, R. J. M. van Dijk, H. Knoors, and J. P. M. van Dijk, “Interaction Between the Teacher and the Congenitally Deafblind Child,” American Annals of the Deaf, Vol.151, No.3, pp. 336-344, 2006.
-  S. Obretenova, M. A. Halko, E. B. Plow, A. Pascual-Leone, and L. B. Merabet, “Neuroplasticity associated with tactile language communication in a deaf-blind subject,” Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, Vol.3, Article 60, pp. 1-14, 2010.
-  N. Okochi, A. Maeda, K. Tomonori, Y. Nakano, and S. Fukushima, “Analyses of Communication Process and Need of Deaf-Blind -Considerations for the Developing of Communication Aids for the Deaf-Blind-,” Correspondences on Human interface, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 15-22, 2004.
-  D. L. Jaffe, “Evolution of mechanical fingerspelling hands for people who are deaf-blind,” J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.31, No.3, pp. 236-244, 1994.
-  U. Gollner, T. Bieling, and G. Joost, “Mobile Lorm Glove – Introducing a Communication Device for Deaf-Blind People,” Proc. of the Sixth Int. Conf. on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI’12), pp. 127-130, 2012.
-  M. Sakajiri, S. Okada, Y. Takeuchi, H. Tomita, and C. Wada, “The Development of a Communication Aid for Deaf-Blind People to Assist Their “Finger Braille” Communication by Using Vibration,” Technical Report of IEICE, HCS99-2, pp. 11-18, 1999.
-  T. Kanno, H. Nagano, O. Asihara, and H. Nagahashi, “A Communication Aid for Deaf-Blind People Using Vibration Motors,” The Trans. of The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers A, Vol.J80-A, No.9, pp. 1509-1516, 1997.
-  T. Sakai, M. Tazaki, and T. Ito, “An Evaluation of an Optimum Stimulus Presentation Method Considering Tactile Sensation on Passive 6-Finger Braille,” The Trans. of The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers D, Vol.J90-D, No.3, pp. 742-753, 2007.
-  C. Jayant, C. Acuario, W. A. Johnson, J. Hollier, and R. E. Ladner, “VBraille: Haptic Braille Perception using a Touch-screen and Vibration on Mobile Phones,” Proc. of the 12th Int. ACM SIGACCESS Conf. on Computers and accessibility (ASSETS’10), pp. 295-296, 2010.
-  M. Nambu, A. Okamoto, M. Sakajiri, and S. Miyoshi, “Dialog Support for the Deaf-blind Persons by Conveying Backchannels through Vibration,” IEICE Technical Report, Vol.107, No.368, pp. 19-22, 2007.
-  A. Chang, S. O’Modhrain, R. Jacob, E. Gunther, and H. Ishii, “ComTouch: Design of a Vibrotactile Communication Device,” Proc. of the 4th Conf. on Designing Interactive Systems: Processes, Practices, Methods, and Techniques (DIS’02), pp. 312-320, 2002.
-  N. Okochi and T. Sakai, “Tactile Interface Technology for the Blind and Deafblind Persons,” The J. of The Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers, Vol.65, No.12, pp. 1690-1695, 2011.
-  T. Amemiya, J. Yamashita, K. Hirota and M. Hirose, “Virtual leading blocks for the deaf-blind: a real-time way-finder by verbal-nonverbal hybrid interface and high-density RFID tag space,” Proc. of IEEE Virtual Reality Conf. 2004 (VR 2004), pp. 165-172, 2004.
-  S. Azenkot, S. Prasain, A. Borning, E. Fortuna, R. E. Ladner and J. O. Wobbrock, “Enhancing Independence and Safety for Blind and Deaf-Blind Public Transit Riders,” Proc. of the SIGCHI Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’11), pp. 3247-3256, 2011.
-  M. Tashiro, “Research on Information Acquisition Support for Deaf-Blind People,” J. of Life Support Engineering, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 27, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  PJI, Ltd., “Development of Haptic Alarm Clock for Deaf-Blind People,” Report on the Development Facilitation Project to Independence Support for Persons with Disabilities, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  M. Sakajiri, “To Assist Tactile Singing for Deafblind Persons: Voice Pitch Control using Tactile Feedback,” IPSJ Magazine, Vol.57, No.3, pp. 258-261, 2016.
-  S. Nakajima, N. Okochi, K. Mitobe, and T. Yamagami, “Gaps between the Expectations of People with Hearing Impairment toward Subtitles and the Current Conditions for Subtitle Creation in Japan,” Proc. of the 14th Int. Conf. on Computers Helping People with Special Needs (ICCHP’14), Part I, Vol.8547, pp. 13-16, 2014.
-  Media Access Support Center, NPO, “Survey Project on Audiovisual Environment for Persons with Hearing or Visual Disabilities toward Development of Theater Serving Perceptually Accessible Films,” 2014th Support Project for Strengthening Contents Industry, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  Association of Barrier-Free Film Study, “Toward Standardization of Barrier-Free Movies in Society, 2014,” Promotion Project of Welfare and Medical Service Agency (WAM), 2015 (in Japanese).
-  M. S. J. Lewis and D. W. Jackson “Television Literacy: Comprehension of Program Content Using Closed Captions for the Deaf,” J. of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, Vol.6, Issue 1, pp. 43-53, 2001.
-  J. Snyder, “Audio description: The visual made verbal,” Int. Congress Series, Vol.1282, pp. 935-939, 2005.
-  R. Rashid, Q. Vy, R. Hunt, and D. I. Fels, “Dancing with Words: Using Animated Text for Captioning,” Int. J. Hum-Comput., Vol.24, No.5, pp. 505-519, 2008.
-  UDCast, Palabla Inc., http://udcast.net/ [Accessed May 17, 2016].
-  N. Okochi, Y. Nakano, A. Maeda, N. Ideguchi, and T. Karita, “Case study of instruction of personal computers to deafblind people, taking their communication characteristics into consideration,” Technical Report of IEICE, Vol.104, No.703, pp. 153-158, 2005.
-  The R Project for Statistical Computing, The R Foundation, https://www.r-project.org/ [Accessed May 17, 2016].
-  K. Higuchi, “Quantitative Text Analysis for Social Researchers: A Contribution on Content Analysis,” Nakanishiya Publishing Co., Ltd., 2014.
-  K. Aveyard, “The Place of Cinema and Film in Contemporary Rural Australia,” Participations: Int. J. of Audience Research, Vol.8, Issue 2, pp. 294-307, 2011.
-  T. Yamagami, “Essay: Building and Me, Inside the Darkness of Theater,” Building Maintenance, Japan Building Maintenance Association, Vol.43, No.11, pp. 19, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  4DX, CJ 4DPLEX Co., Ltd., http://www.cj4dx.com/ [Accessed May 17, 2016].
-  MX4DTM, MediaMation, Inc., http://www.mx-4d.com/ [Accessed May 17, 2016].
-  S. Nakajima, T. Yamagami, N. Okochi, K. Mitobe, M. Suzuki, and M. Nishida, “Preliminary Survey on the Present Issues Regarding Cinema Subtitle for Hearing-impaired People in Japan and Future Possibilities,” Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Universal Learning Design (ULD’12), pp. 69-71, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.