Using Finger Dexterity in Elderly and Younger People to Detect Cognitive Decline
Katsuya Fujiwara, Hiroyuki Fujii, and Kazutaka Mitobe
Graduate School of Engineering Science, Akita University
1-1 Tegata-gakuen-machi, Akita 010-8502, Japan
-  Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations, World Population Prospects: The 2015 Revision, United Nations publication, 2015.
-  Cabinet Office, Government of Japan (Ed.), Annual Report on the Aging Society: 2015, Nikkei Printing, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  National Institute of Population and Social Security Research, Government of Japan, Household Projections for Japan by Prefecture: 2010-2035, Population Research Series, No.332, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  M. Marschollek, S. Mix, K.-H. Wolf, B. Effertz, R. Haux, and E. Steinhagen-Thiessen, “ICT-based health information services for elderly people: Past experiences, current trends, and future strategies,” Medical Informatics and the Internet in Medicine, Vol.32, No.4, pp. 251-261, 2007.
-  H. J. Lee, S. H. Lee, K.-S. Ha, H. C. Jang, W.-Y. Chung, J. Y. Kim, Y.-S. Chang, and D. H. Yoo, “Ubiquitous healthcare service using Zigbee and mobile phone for elderly patients,” Int. J. of Medical Informatics, Vol.78, No.3, pp. 193-198, 2009.
-  T. Koike, T. Fukaya, K. Nonaka, E. Kobayashi, M. Nishi, Y. Murayama, R. Watanabe, S. Shinkai, and Y. Fujiwara, “Usage conditions and intentions to use monitoring services for the elderly living alone,” Japanese J. of Public Health, Vol.60, No.5, pp. 285-293, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  P. Rashidi and A. Mihailidis, “A Survey on Ambient-Assisted Living Tools for Older Adults,” IEEE J. of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 579-590, 2013.
-  L. Liu, E. Stroulia, I. Nikolaidis, A. Miguel-Cruz, and A. Rios Rincon, “Smart Homes and Home Health Monitoring Technologies for Older Adults: A Systematic Review,” Int. J. of medical Informatics, Vol.91, pp. 44-59, 2016.
-  S. E. Vermeer, M. Hollander, E. J. van Dijk, A. Hofman, P. J. Koudstaal, and M. M. B. Breteler, “Silent Brain Infarcts and White Matter Lesions Increase Stroke Risk in the General Population: The Rotterdam Scan Study,” Stroke, Vol.34, American Heart Association J., pp. 1126-1129, 2003.
-  S. E. Vermeer, N. D. Prins, T. den Heijer, A. Hofman, P. J. Koudstaal, and M. M. B. Breteler, “Silent Brain Infarcts and the Risk of Dementia and Cognitive Decline,” The New England J. of Medicine, Vol.348, pp. 1215-1222, 2003.
-  S. E. Vermeer, W. T. Longstreth Jr., and P. J. Koudstaal, “Silent Brain Infarcts; A Systematic Review,” Lancet Neurology, Vol.6, No.7, pp. 611-619, 2007.
-  I. Goldberg, E. Auriel, D. Russell, and A. D. Korczyn, “Microembolism, Silent Brain Infarcts and Dementia,” J. of the Neurological Sciences, Vol.322, (1-2), pp. 250-253, 2012.
-  H. Fujii, K. Fujiwara, and K. Mitobe, “The Simple Self-diagnosis System of Asymptomatic Cerebral Infarction using a Tablet Device for Elderly Monitoring,” Tohoku-Section Joint Convention Record of Institutes of Electrical and Information Engineers, Japan, Vol.2014, p. 2I12, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  H. Fujii, K. Fujiwara, and K. Mitobe, “Dexterity Analysis for Simple Self-diagnosis of Asymptomatic Cerebral Infarction using a Tablet Device,” IPSJ Tohoku Branch SIG Technical Report, Vol.2014-1, No.6, pp. 1-6, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  C. J. Golden, P. Espe‐Pfeifer, and J. Wachsler‐Felder, “Neuropsychological interpretations of objective psychological tests,” Springer Science & Business Media, 2000.
-  H. Shiraishi, “What is Evaluating Hand Functions – Various Evaluation Methods Related to Hands –,” J. of the Society of Biomechanisms, Vol.34, No.4, pp. 291-296, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  M. Sakamoto, E. Kikuchi, and M. Shigeta, “Relationship between Hand Dexterity and Severity of Dementia in Alzheimer’s Disease: Changes in Handedness Superiority in the Course of Progression,” Japanese J. of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.44, No.7, pp. 391-397, 2007.
-  A. Tsuboi, M. Momma, Y. Kouno, et al., “Relationship between Hand Dexterity and Cognitive Function in Healthy Normal Subjects,” J. of Health and Welfare Statistics, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 10-16, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  P. Trouillas, T. Takayanagi, et al., “International Cooperative Ataxia Rating Scale for pharmacological assessment of the cerebellar syndrome, The Ataxia Neuropharmacology Committee of the World Federation of Neurology,” J. of the Neurological Sciences, Vol.145, No.2, pp. 205-211, 1997.
-  J. D. Schmahmann, R. Gardner, J. MacMore, and M. G. Vangel, “Development of a Brief Ataxia Rating Scale (BARS) Based on a Modified Form of the ICARS,” Movement Disorders, Vol.24, No.12, pp. 1820-1828, 2009.
-  J. Westin, S. Ghiamati, M. Memedi, et al.: “A new computer method for assessing drawing impairment in Parkinson’s disease,” J. of Neuroscience Methods, Vol.190, No.1, pp. 143-148, 2010.
-  M. E. Isenkul, B. E. Sakar, and O. Kursun, “Improved spiral test using digitized graphics tablet for monitoring Parkinson’s disease,” ICEHTM 2014, pp. 171-175, 2014.
-  T. Yoshii, Y. Matsumoto, S. Hirakawa, et al., “A basic study of tremor evaluation system development using spiral drawing task,” IEICE Technical Report, Vol.MBE2005-67, pp. 47-50, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  B. J. Winer, R. B. Donald, and M. M. Kenneth, “Statistical principles in experimental design,” Vol.2, McGraw-Hill, 1971.
-  S. Katoh, H. Simogaki, A. Onodera, H. Ueda, K. Oikawa, K. Ikeda, Y. Imai, and K. Hasegawa, “Development of the Revised Version of Hasegawa’s Dementia Scale (HDS-R),” Japanese J. of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol.2, No.11, pp. 1339-1347, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Imai and K. Hasegawa, “The Revised Hasegawa’s Dementia Scale (HDS-R)-Evaluation of its Usefulness as a Screening Test for Dementia,” Hong Kong J. of Psychiatry, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 20-24, 1994.
-  M. Taguchi, “Cultural differences in drawing movements between right-handed Japanese and German participants,” Psychological Reports, Vol.107, No.1, pp. 329-335, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.