A Proposal of Genetic Operations for BSIM Parameter Extraction Using Real-Coded Genetic Algorithm
Ai Nishiba*, Hiroharu Kawanaka*, Haruhiko Takase*,
and Shinji Tsuruoka**
*Graduate School of Engineering, Mie University, 1577 Kurima-Machiya, Tsu, Mie 514-8507, Japan
**Graduate School of Regional Innovation Studies, Mie University, 1577 Kurima-Machiya, Tsu, Mie 514-8507, Japan
This paper discusses genetic operations and their effects on evolution of GA in BSIM parameter extraction problems. Generally, Real-Coded Genetic Algorithm (RCGA) using Simplex Crossover (SPX) is often employed to extract BSIM parameter sets. BSIM parameters, however, have recommended operating ranges. There are regarded as constraints, thus all extracted parameters have to be satisfied them. In many cases, when the number of parameters becomes large, the conventional methods generate a lot of infeasible solutions because SPX makes offspring on the simplex plane expanded by ε parameter. This makes search efficiency of GA reduce drastically. Because of these factors, we propose genetic operations considering the constraints to prevent reduction of search efficiency of GA. In this paper, some experiments using actual static characteristic curves of MOS-FET were conducted to validate the proposed method. This paper also discussed the effectiveness of the proposed method.
-  B. J. Sheu, D. L. Scharfetter, P.-K. Ko, and M.-C. Jeng, “BSIM: Berkeley short-channel IGFET model for MOS transistors,” IEEE J. of Solid-State Circuits, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 558-566, 1987.
-  M. Chan and C. Hu, “The Engineering of BSIM for the Nano-Technology Era and Beyond,” Modeling and Simulation of Microsystems 2002, pp. 662-665, 2002.
-  BSIM Homepage,
-  M. Keser and K. Joardar, “Genetic Algorithm Based MOSFET Parameter Extraction,” Technical Proc. of the 2000 Intl. Conf. on Modeling and Simulation of Microsystems, pp. 341-344, 2000.
-  M. Murakawa, M. Miura-Mattausch, and T. Higuchi, “Towards automatic parameter extraction for surface-potential-based MOSFET models with the genetic algorithm,” Proc. of the ASP-DAC 2005, Vol.1, pp. 204-207, 2005.
-  S. Baba, J. Namekata, D. Murase, T. Wada, K. Ito, and M. Murakawa, “Extraction of Bsim Compact Model Parameters Using Genetic Algorithm,” Technical Report of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, Vol.105, No.307, pp. 21-26, 2005.
-  M. Murakawa, K. Ito, and T. Wada, “Parameter Adjuster,” United States Patent, US 7,580,904 B2, 2009.
-  Y. Li, “An automatic parameter extraction technique for advanced CMOS device modeling using genetic algorithm,” Microelectronic Engineering, Vol.84, No.2, pp. 260-272, 2007.
-  Y. Li and Y. Cho, “Parallel genetic algorithm for SPICE model parameter extraction,” Proc. of Int. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium 2006, p. 8, 2006.
-  A. Nishiba, H. Kawanaka, H. Takase, and S. Tsuruoka, “A Study on Genetic Operations of Real-Coded GA and their Effectiveness for Extraction of BSIM Model Parameters,” Proc. of Workshop on Informatics 2009, pp. 79-83, 2009.
-  T. Higuchi, S. Tsutsui, and M. Yamamura, “Theoretical analysis of simplex crossover for real-coded genetic algorithms,” Parallel Problem Solving from Nature (PPSN-VI), pp. 365-374, 2000.
-  T. Higuchi, S. Tsutsui, and M. Yamamura, “Simplex Crossover for Real-coded Genetic Algorithms,” Trans. of the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 147-155, 2001.
-  S. Tsutsui, M. Yamamura, and T. Higuchi, “Multi-parent Recombination with Simplex Crossover in Real Coded Genetic Algorithms,” Proc. of the 1999 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conf., pp. 657-664, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.