Enhancing Bidding Strategy Using Genetic Network Programming in Agent-Based Multiple Round English Auction
Chuan Yue, Shingo Mabu, and Kotaro Hirasawa
Graduate School of Information, Production and Systems, Waseda University, 2-7 Hibikino, Wakamatsu-ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 808-0135, Japan
The agent-based auction mechanism widely used in web sites and originally designed for trading goods for customers might not be the most efficient one in the future, while there is a demand of automated auction agents, which are adaptable to the dynamic auction environments. To this end, this paper discusses how to apply Genetic Network Programming (GNP) to automated auction agents in order to make a bid efficiently and effectively at each time step according to the auction environments, and Multiple Round English Auction (MREA) mechanism studied in this paper is based on multi-agent systems, which aims to help the buyer to procure profitable deals as much as possible. GNPbased agent is compared with other agents using conventional strategies in MREA. It has been found from the simulations that the proposed method could help agents to evolve their strategies generation by generation, which shows that GNP has a good performance of helping the agent to find the suitable strategy under various situations and outperform than other strategies.
-  A. Greenwald and J. Boyan, “Bidding algorithms for simultaneous auctions: A case study,” J. of Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 67-89, 2005.
-  P. Anthony, W. Hall, V. D. Dang, and N. R. Jennings, “Autonomous Agents For Participating In Multiple Online Auctions,” In Proc. of the IJCAI Workshop on E-Business and Intelligent Web, pp. 54-64, 2001.
-  P. Anthony and N. R. Jennings, “Evolving bidding strategies for multiple auctions,” In Proc. of the 15th European Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 178-182, 2002.
-  P. Anthony and N. R. Jennings, “Developing a bidding agent for multiple heterogeneous auctions,” ACM Trans. on Internet Technology, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 185-217, 2003.
-  C. Boutilier, “Multiagent systems: Challenges and opportunities for decision-theoretic planning,” AI Mag., Vol.20, No.4, pp. 35-43, 1999.
-  M. Yokoo, E. H. Durfee, T. Ishida, and K. Kuwabara, “Distributed constraint satisfaction problems: Formalization and algorithms,” IEEE Trans. Knowl. Data Eng., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 673-685, 1998.
-  R. K. Dash, P. Vytelingum, A. Rogers, E. David, and N. R. Jennings, “Market-Based Task Allocation Mechanisms for Limited-Capacity Suppliers,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A, Systems and humans, Vol.37, No.3, pp. 391-405, 2007.
-  C. Yue, S. Mabu, Y. Chen, Y. Wang, and K. Hirasawa, “Agent bidding strategy of multiple round English Auction based on genetic network programming,” ICCAS-SICE 2009, pp. 3857-3862, Fukuoka, Japan, 2009.
-  D. E. Goldberg, “Genetic Algorithm in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning,” Addison-Wesley, 1989.
-  J. R. Koza, “Genetic Programming, on the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection,” MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1992.
-  S. Mabu, K. Hirasawa, and J. Hu, “A Graph-Based Evolutionary Algorithm: Genetic Network Programming (GNP) and Its Extension Using Reinforcement Learning,” Evolutionary Computation, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 369-398, MIT Press, 2007.
-  C. Yan, S. Mabu, K. Shimada, and K. Hirasawa, “Real time updating genetic network programming for adapting to the change of stock prices,” IEEJ Trans. EIS, Vol.129, No.2, pp. 344-354, 2009.
-  K. Hirasawa, T. Eguchi, J. Zhou, L. Yu, and S. Markon, “A Double-Deck Elevator Group Supervisory Control System Using Genetic Network Programming,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part C, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 535-550, 2008.
-  S. Mabu, C. Chen, N. N. Lu, K. Shimada, and K. Hirawasa, “An Intrusion-Detection Model Based on Fuzzy Class-Association-Rule Mining Using Genetic Network Programming,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 130-139, 2011.
-  H. Y. Zhou, S. Mabu, W. Wei, K. Shimada, and K. Hirasawa, “Time Related Class Association Rule Mining and Its Application to Traffic Prediction,” IEEJ Trans. on Electronics, Information and Systems, Vol.130, No.2, pp. 289-301, 2010.
-  C. Yue, S. Mabu, Y. Wang, and K. Hirasawa, “Multiple Round English Auction Agent based on Genetic Network Programming,” IEEJ Trans. on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 450-458, 2010.
-  S. Mabu, D. G. Yu, C. Yue, and K. Hirasawa, “No Time Limit and Time Limit Model of Multiple Round Dutch Auction based on Genetic Network Programming,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 3-12, 2011.
-  A. Byde, C. Priest, and N. R. Jennings, “Decision procedures for multiple auctions,” In Proc. of the First Int. Joint Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, Bologana, Italy, pp. 613-620, July 2002.
-  M. Goyal, J. Lu, and G. Zhang, “A Novel Fuzzy Attitude Based Bidding Strategy for Multi-attribute Auction,” In Proc. of the 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM Int. Conf. on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology, pp. 535-539, 2006.
-  X. Sui and H. F. Leung, “An Adaptive Bidding Strategy in Multi-Round Combinatorial Auctions For Resource Allocation,” In Proc. of the 20th IEEE Int. Conf. on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, pp. 423-430, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.