Toward New Practical Education Based on Professional Kansei
Koji Murai*1, Yuji Hayashi*1, Kei Kuramoto*2,
Takayuki Fujita*2, Kazusuke Maenaka*2,
Kohei Higuchi*3, and Tsunemasa Saiki*4
*1Graduate School of Maritime Sciences, Kobe University, 5-1-1 Fukaeminami, Higashinada, Kobe 658-0022, Japan
*2Graduate School of Engineering, University of Hyogo, 2167 Shosha, Himeji 671-2280, Japan
*3Exploratory Research for Advanced Technology, Japan Science and Technology Agency, 2167 Shosha, Himeji 671-2280, Japan
*4Department of Ecological and Biological Technologies, Hyogo Prefectural Institute of Technology, 3-1-12 Yukihira, Suma, Kobe 654-0037, Japan
To evaluate the ship-handling skills and kansei of professionals and students, we studied physical performance and mental workload using a simulator and an actual ship. We demonstrated the effects of physiological indices based on professional performance and features as seen from their mental workload with heart rate variability, nasal temperature, and salivary amylase activity, and considered new practical education using professional kansei.
-  K. Murai and S. Inokuchi, “New Concept of Navigational Information Including Human Navigator’s KANSEI,” J. of Japan Society of Kansei Engineering, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 71-76, 2004.
-  K. Murai, Y. Hayashi, N. Nagata, and S. Inokuchi, “The Mental Workload of a Ship’s Navigator using Heart Rate Variability,” J. of Interactive Technology and Smart Education, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 127-133, Emerald Group Pub. Ltd, 2004.
-  S. Teel, K. Murai, J. Sanders, D. Parrott, L. Wade, T. Gervais, K. Rovinski, Y. Hayashi, and L. C. Stone, “Evaluation of Marine Simulator Training Based on Heart Rate Variability,” Proc. of 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (IEEESMC2009), pp. 239-244, 2009.
-  K. Murai, T. Okazaki, L. C. Stone, and Y. Hayashi, “A Characteristic of A Navigator’s Mental Workload Based on Nasal Temperature,” Proc. of 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (IEEE-SMC2007), pp. 3639-3643, 2007.
-  K. Murai and Y. Hayashi, “An evaluation of mental workload for effective navigation,” J. of Interactive Technology and Smart Education, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 29-38, Emerald Group Pub. Ltd, 2008.
-  K. Murai, S. Wakida, T. Miyado, K. Fukushi, and Y. Hayashi, “Basic Study of a Ship Navigator’s Stress Using Salivary Amylase Activity,” IEEJ Trans. on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 680-682, 2009.
-  K. Murai, S. Wakida, T. Miyado, K. Fukushi, Y. Hayash, and L. C. Stone, “Enhancing Maritime Education and Training: Measuring A Ship Navigator’s Stress Based on Salivary Amylase Activity,” J. of Interactive Technology and Smart Education, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 293-302, Emerald Group Pub. Ltd, 2009.
-  K. Murai, Y. Hayashi, Y. Miyoshi, and S. Inokuchi, “A Basic Study on Navigator’s Visual Observation Area and Stress Level for Ship Handling by Actual Ships and Simulators,” IEE of Japan Transaction of EIS, Vol.123, No.7, pp. 1311-1318, 2003.
-  K.Murai, L. C. Stone, and Y. Hayashi, “A Case Study of A Navigator’s Sea Aptitude Using Body Response,” Proc. of 10th Int. Conf. on Engineering Education (iNEER), T2E, CD-ROM, 2007.
-  N. Bowditch, “The American Practical Navigator,” Defense Mapping Agency Hydrographic/Topographic Center, Maryland, Chapt.25, pp. 363-371, 1995.
-  K. Murai and Y. Hayashi, “Evaluation of Ship’s Navigator’s Performance by Event Sampling Method,” Abstract of 70th Japan Association of Applied Psychology Annual Conf., p. 153, 2003.
-  M. Yamaguchi, N. Hanawa, and H. Yoshida, “Evaluation of a Novel Monitor for the Sympathetic Nervous System using Salivary Amylase Activity,” Trans. of the Japanese Society for Medical and Biological Engineering, Vol.45, No.2, pp. 161-168, 2007.
-  K.Murai, Y. Hayashi, Y. Yano, and M. Fuchi, “Transition of Mental Workload among Bridge Teammates,” Proc. of the Institute Of Navigation 60th Annual Meeting (ION-AM2004), pp. 263-270, 2004.
-  B. Sayers, “Analysis of Heart Rate Variability,” Ergonomics, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 17-32, 1973.
-  M. Ohsuga, H. Terashita, and F. Shimono, “Towards the Assessment of Mental Workload Using Autonomic Indices,” Trans. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.29, No.8, pp. 979-986, 1993.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.