Automatic Generation of VHDL for Control Logic of Air Conditioning Using Evolutionary Computation
Kazuyuki Kojima and Keiichi Watanuki
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saitama University, 255 Shimo-okubo, Sakura-ku, Saitama-shi, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
With dramatic advances in electronics, electronic control has been increasingly applied to control based on sensors and actuators and improved energy efficiency and performance. With increasing system complexity, however, time required to develop the system controller has increased. To automate electronic controller design, we apply evolutionary hardware, starting with the targeted air-conditioning system and task definition, followed by the framework of applying a genetic algorithm to controller design automation, focusing on chromosome coding. We then present the fitness function we use to develop the air-conditioner controller automatically. Evolutionary simulation verified the feasibility of our framework.
-  P. O. Fanger, “Thermal Comfort,” McGraw-Hill, 1970.
-  D. E. Goldberg, “Genetic Algorithm in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning,” Addison-Wesley, 1989.
-  H. Hemmi, J. Mizoguchi, and K. Shimohara, “AdAM: A Hardware Evolutionary System,” Proc. 1997 IEEE Conf. Evolutionary Computat. (ICEC’97), pp. 193-196, 1997.
-  T. Higuchi, T. Niwa, T. Tanaka, H. Iba, H. Garis, and T. Furuya, “Evolvable Hardware with Genetic Learning: A First Step Towards Building a Darwin Machine,” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on the Simulation of Adaptive Behavior, p. 417, 1992.
-  H. Iba, “Introduction to Genetic Programming,” University of Tokyo Press.
-  H. Iba, “Genetic Programming,” Tokyo Denki University Press, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  I. Kajitani and T. Higuchi, “Developments of Myoelectric Controllers for Hand Prostheses,” Proc. of the Myoelectric Controls Symposium 2005, pp. 107-111, 2005.
-  J. Koza, “Genetic Programming,” MIT Press, 1994.
-  H. Sakanashi, M. Iwata, and T. Higuchi, “Evolvable Hardware for Lossless Compression of Very High Resolution Bi-level Images,” IEE Proceedings-Computers and Digital Techniques, 151, pp. 277-286, 2004.
-  N. Sannomiya, H. Tamaki, H. Kita, and T. Iwamoto, “Genetic Algorithm and Optimization,” Asakura Publishing Co.,Ltd., 1998 (in Japanese).
-  O. Tetens, “Über einige meteorologische Begriffe,” Zeitschrift für Geophysik, 6, pp. 297-309, 1930 (in German).
-  Xilinx, “XC9572 In-System Programmable CPLD Product Specification,” Xilinx, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.