Online Monitoring Method for Mold Deformation Using Mahalanobis Distance
Yoshio Fukushima and Naoki Kawada
Saitama Institute of Technology
1690 Fusaiji, Fukaya, Saitama 369-0293, Japan
Based on the rapid advancement of IoT technology, it has become pervasive in various industries for promoting effective production, including the plastic injection molding industry. In this study, a fundamental investigation of mold deformation was conducted to develop a monitoring system. Mahalanobis distance (MD), which is calculated from mold strain data, was adopted in this monitoring system. We determined that the simple MD index is helpful for judging between normal and abnormal mold states. This index is expected to be a key component of future IoT applications.
-  Cabinet office government of Japan, “Outline of the Fifth Science and Technology Basic Plan.” https://www8.cao.go.jp/cstp/english/basic/5thbasicplan_outline.pdf [Accessed April 16, 2020]
-  T. Naganuma and K. Hashimoto, “Estimation of operation mode from the clamping force variation of injection molding machine,” Trans. of the JSME, Vol.84, No.857, 17-00417, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  T. Naganuma and K. Hashimoto, “Anomaly detection of the injection molding clamping unit,” Trans. of the JSME, Vol.85, No.851, 18-00258, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  T. Naganuma and K. Hashimoto, “Anomaly detection of injection molding machine using mold clamping force changes,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.32, No.4, pp. 134-137, 2020 (in Japanese).
-  S. Otobe, M. Urano, K. Oizumi, T. Hayashi, A. Ishigami, C. Natthapong, and H. Ito, “Development of “Expertized AI” and “IoT-Based Mold” in mold manufacturing SME,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.31, No.12, pp. 452-455, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Fukushima, T. Suzuki, K. Onda, H. Komatsu, H. Kuroiwa, and T. Kaburagi, “Study on the online monitoring system of barn mark by gas sensor,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 112-119, 2017.
-  K. Onda, Y. Fukushima, T. Suzuki, H. Kuroiwa, and H. Komatsu, “Behavior of Gas Generation During Injection Molding of Poly(Butylene terephthalate) in the Presence and Absence of Inert Gas,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.26, No.8, pp. 395-398, 2014.
-  Y. Fukushima, M. Kurose, and H. Kumehara, “Monitoring System to Minimize Deformation od Die-Casting by Orthogonal Analysis and SOM,” J. of Society of Materials Science, Japan, Vol.58, No.5, pp. 430-436, 2009.
-  Y. Fukushima and H. Kumehara, “A study on monitoring system of casting process by SOM,” Proc. of ICOTA7, pp. 439-440, 2008.
-  F. Klocke, S. Kratz, T. Auerbach, S. Gierlings, G. Wirtz, and D. Veselovac, “Process Monitoring and Control of Machining Operations,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.3, pp. 403-411, 2011.
-  D. Kurihara, Y. Kakinuma, and S. Katsura, “Sensorless Cutting Force Monitoring Using Parallel Disturbance Observer,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.4, pp. 415-421, 2009.
-  N. Kawada, M. Oikawa, Y. Ootsuka, I. Iwaki, and H. Kumehara, “Development of Condition Monitoring System for Laser Welding System of Stainless Steel Sheets,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.75, No.5, pp. 629-633, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  K. Tsuchiya, Y. Lu, M. Kato, and Y. Tomono, “Process Monitoring for a New Product Management System using Small Production Machines,” Seisan-Kenkyu, Vol.67, No.6, pp. 641-645, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  A. Motegi, Y. Fukushima, T. Hishida, T. Suda, Y. Takahashi, M. Kano, and Y. Murata, “A Study on Strengthening of Weld Part by Core Pin Drive Method,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.27, No.12, pp. 540-545, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Fukushima, H. Kuroiwa, H. Komatsu, T. Suzuki, T. Suda, and Y. Murata, “Study on Combustion Behavior of PBT Polymer in Injection Molding by Combustion Gas Collection and Component Analysis,” J. of the Japan Society of Polymer Processing, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 27-33, 2014.
-  Y. Fukushima, T. Suzuki, H. Kuroiwa, H. Komatsu, T. Iwasawa, and F. Ichikura, “Mold with device for monitoring molding defects,” Japan Patent No.5879599, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  S. Sakano, T. Bando, and D. Jin, “A Study of Recognition Using MTS,” Quality Engineering, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 58-64, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  Robust Quality Engineering Society, “Quality Engineering Handbook,” pp. 128-130, 2007.
-  S. Teshima, T. Bando, and D. Jin, “A Research of Defects Detection Using the Mahalanobis-Taguchi System Method,” Quality Engineering, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 74-81, 1997.
-  Y. Fukushima, Z. Zhao, A, Sakamoto, and N. Kawada, “Condition monitoring method for Injection molding process by waveform analysis,” Proc. of the 22nd Int. Conf. on Advances in Materials & Processing Technologies (AMPT), 2019.
-  K. Tsushita and Y. Morikiyo, “Prediction of fasting plasma qlucose(FPG) using MT system,” Quality Engineering, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 96-102, 2003 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.