Task Scheduling of Material-Handling Manipulator for Enhancing Energy Efficiency in Flow-Type FMS
Ryo Yonemoto and Haruhiko Suwa
17-8 Ikeda-naka-machi, Neyagawa, Osaka 572-8508, Japan
Energy savings and reduction in environmental burdens are necessitated to enhance sustainable manufacturing performances. Not only should energy consumption in the factory be visualized, but also a mechanism, by which in-process production and energy-related information measured in the shop floor are fed back into planning/scheduling decision-making, must be established to improve the energy efficiency during manufacturing execution. This study addresses the effect of scheduling on the improvement of energy efficiency in manufacturing by connecting a developed measurement and control platform with a real manufacturing system. The manufacturing system testbed utilized in this study forms a simple flow-type flexible manufacturing system composed of automated manufacturing cell with a CNC lathe, material-handling manipulator, and vertical machining center. We focus on the task scheduling of the material-handling manipulator, which yields a job sequence, and the effect of task scheduling of the manipulator on the energy efficiency and productivity of the entire manufacturing system.
-  H. Makita, Y. Shida, and N. Nozue, “Factory Energy Management System Using Production Information,” Mitsubishi Electric Advance, Vol.140, pp. 7-11, 2012.
-  K.-D. Thoben, S. Wiesner, and T. Wuest, “‘Industrie 4.0’ and smart manufacturing: A review of research issues and application examples,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 4-16, 2017.
-  J. R. Duflou, J. W. Sutherland, D. Dornfeld, C. Herrmann, J. Jeswiet, S. Kara, M. Hauschild, and K. Kellens, “Towards energy and resource efficient manufacturing: A processes and systems approach,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 587-609, 2012.
-  R. Yonemoto and H. Suwa, “Evaluation of Energy Efficiency and Productivity in Scheduling by Using Physical Simulator,” Trans. of the Institute of Systems, Control and Information Engineers, Vol.32, No.5, pp. 185-191, 2019.
-  T. Samukawa and H. Suwa, “Development of heterogeneous measurement system for predicting power consumption in eco-machining,” Proc. of 2016 Int. Symp. on Flexible Automation, pp. 413-419, 2016.
-  M. Fujishima, H. Shimanoe, and M. Mori, “Reducing the energy consumption of machine tools,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.4, pp. 601-607, 2017.
-  H. Ohtani, “Development of energy-saving machine tool,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.4, pp. 608-614, 2017.
-  T. Shudeleit, S. Züst, L. Weiss, and K. Wegner, “Machine tool energy efficiency: A component mapping-based approach,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 717-726, 2016.
-  H. Koresawa, K. Tanaka, and H. Narahara, “Low-energy injection molding process by a mold with permeability fabricated by additive manufacturing,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.1, pp. 101-105, 2016.
-  A. Glodde and M. Afrough, “Energy efficiency evaluation of an underactuated robot in comparison to traditional robot kinematics,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.23, pp. 127-130, 2014.
-  M. B. Paryanto, J. M. J. Kohl, and J. F. S. Spreng, “Energy consumption and dynamic behavior analysis of a six-axis industrial robot in an assembly system,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.23, pp. 131-136, 2014.
-  E. Uhlmann, S. Reinkober, and T. Hollerbach, “Energy efficient usage of industrial robots for machining process,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.48, pp. 206-211, 2016.
-  Y. Kawamura, H. Horiguchi, and T. Ono, “A Framework for Optimal Planning Systems on the EMS Platform,” Fuji Electric J., Vol.86, pp. 97-201, 2013.
-  H. Hibino, T. Sakuma, and M. Yamaguchi, “Evaluation system for energy consumption and productivity in manufacturing system simulation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.3, pp. 248-288, 2012.
-  H. Hibino, Y. Fukuda, and Y. Yura, “A synchronization mechanism with shared storage model for distributed manufacturing simulation systems,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.3, pp. 279-260, 2015.
-  H. Hibino, M. Yamamoto, M. Yamaguchi, and T. Kobayashi, “A study on lot-size dependence of energy consumption per unit of production throughput considering buffer capacity,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 46-55, 2017.
-  C. Herrmann, S. Thiede, S. Kara, and J. Hesselbach, “Energy oriented simulation of manufacturing systems – Concept and application,” CIRP Annals, Vol.60, No.1, pp. 45-48, 2011.
-  J. Kohl, S. Spreng, and J. Franke, “Discrete Event Simulation of Individual Energy Consumption for Product-varieties,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.17, pp. 517-522, 2014.
-  T. L. Garwood, B. R. Hughes, M. R. Oates, D. O’Connor, and R. Hughes, “A review of energy simulation tools for the manufacturing sector,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol.81, No.1, pp. 895-911, 2018.
-  H. Murata, N. Yokono, S. Fukushige, and H. Kobayashi, “A lifecycle simulation method for global reuse,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.6, pp. 814-821, 2018.
-  Y. Mizuno, Y. Kishita, S. Fukushige, and Y. Umeda, “Envisioning sustainable manufacturing industries of Japan,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 634-643, 2014.
-  M. M. Isnaini, Y. Shinoki, R. Sato, and K. Shirase, “Development of a CAD-CAM interaction system to generate a flexible machining process plan,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 104-114, 2015.
-  T. Samukawa and H. Suwa, “An optimization of energy-efficiency in machining manufacturing systems based on a framework of multi-mode RCPSP,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.6, pp. 985-992, 2016.
-  C. Gahm, F. Denz, M. Dirr, and A. Tuma, “Energy-efficient scheduling in manufacturing companies: A review and research framework,” European J. of Operational Research, Vol.248, pp. 744-757, 2016.
-  C. Artigues, P. Lopez, and A. Haït, “The energy scheduling problem: Industrial case-study and constraint propagation techniques,” Int. J. of Production Economics, Vol.143, No.1, pp. 13-23, 2013.
-  Z. Zhang, R. Tang, T. Peng, L. Tao, and S. Jia, “A method for minimizing the energy consumption of machining system: integration of process planning and scheduling,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.137, pp. 1647-1662, 2016.
-  R. Yonemoto, H. Suwa, and T. Samukawa, “Evaluation of energy efficiency in scheduling by using cyber-physical manufacturing simulator,” Proc. of Int. Symp. on Scheduling, pp. 111-116, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.