Study of the Warp Removal Process for a Thin Substrate: Development of a Correction Processing System Using a Freezing Pin Chuck
Kenichiro Yoshitomi and Atsunobu Une
National Defense Academy of Japan
1-10-20 Hashirimizu, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 239-8686, Japan
High precision is required for thin substrates used in the manufacturing processes for semiconductor devices and flat panel displays, and the required precision for substrate warp becomes more stringent every year. However, it is difficult to remove the warp efficiently utilizing the current grinding and polishing methods. One of the causes is deformation of the substrate during clamping. For this reason, a freezing pin chuck has been developed as a clamping technology that does not deform the substrate. A freezing pin chuck that uses the adhesion of frozen liquid can be designed with a substrate clamping force that can withstand the processing force. In this study, we developed a correction processing system that utilizes a freezing pin chuck to remove the warp of the thin substrate. The developed correction processing system can perform the grinding and polishing processes while clamping the substrate without deformation using a freezing pin chuck, and has a non-deformation clamping capacity that suppresses substrate deformation to 1/10 or less for a substrate with an initial warp of 100 μm. In addition, the newly devised additional application method has made it possible to increase the clampable warp by approximately twice that of the ordinal application method, and improves the clamping force. The results of the grinding and polishing experiments revealed that the correction processing system can obtain the same planarized profile as that when a vacuum pin chuck is utilized, while cooling the substrate surface during processing to 5°C or less, and also demonstrated that it can be applied to correction processing.
-  H. Aida, T. Doi, H. Takeda, H. Katakura, S.-W. Kim, K. Koyama, T. Yamazaki, and M. Uneda, “Ultraprecision CMP for sapphire, GaN and SiC for advanced optoelectronics materials,” Current Applied Physics, Vol.12, Supplement 2, pp. 41-46, doi: 10.1016/j.cap.2012.02.016, 2012.
-  T. Tagawa, M. Touge, T. Sakamoto, S. Shikata, H. Yamada, and Y. Kato, “Study on UV-Assisted Polishing of Diamond Wafer for Power Electric Devices,” J. of JSPE, Vol.80, Issue 6, pp. 587-591, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.80.587, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  P. Khajornrungruang, N. Wada, K. Kimura, R. Yui, and K. Suzuki, “Investigation on Slurry Flow and Temperature in Polishing Process of Quartz Glass Substrate,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.2, pp. 195-200, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2011.p0195, 2011.
-  H. Maeda, R. Takanabe, A. Takeda, S. Matsuda, and T. Kato, “High-Speed Slicing of SiC Ingot by High-Speed Multi Wire Saw,” Materials Science Forum, Vol.778, pp. 771-775, doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.778-780.771, 2014.
-  H. Suwabe, J. Okubo, K. Matsukawa, and K. Ishikawa, “Ductile mode slicing of SiC using multi-wire saw,” J. of JSAT, Vol.60, Issue 2, pp. 91-96, doi: 10.11420/jsat.60.91, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  T. Suzuki, Y. Nishino, and J. Yan, “Mechanisms of material removal and subsurface damage in fixed-abrasive diamond wire slicing of single-crystalline silicon,” Precision Engineering, Vol.50, pp. 32-43, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2017.04.011, 2017.
-  A. Une, K. Yoshitomi, and M. Mochida, “Oscillation-Speed-Control-Type Polishing with a Small Tool (3rd Report): Pressure Distributions and Wafer Profiles Polished with Tool Overhang,” J. of JSPE, Vol.70, Issue 9, pp. 1201-1205, doi: 10.2493/jspe.70.1201, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  M. Uneda, K. Takano, K. Koyama, H. Aida, and K. Ishikawa, “Investigation into Chemical Mechanical Polishing Mechanism of Hard-to-Process Materials Using a Commercially Available Single- Sided Polisher,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.5, pp. 573-579, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2015.p0573, 2015.
-  J. Kusuyama, A. Yui, T. Kitajima, and T. Ito, “Effects of grain approach angle on machining performance in Si wafer rotary grinding,” J. of JSAT, Vol.61, Issue 11, pp. 607-612, doi: 10.11420/jsat.61.607, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  K. Hirose and T. Enomoto, “Optimization of Double-Sided Polishing Conditions to Achieve High Flatness: Consideration of Relative Motion Direction,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.5, pp. 581-591, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2009.p0581, 2009.
-  K. Koyama, H. Aida, M. Uneda, H. Takeda, S. Kim, H. Takei, T. Yamazaki, and T. Doi, “Effects of N-Face Finishing on Geometry of Double-Side Polished GaN Substrate,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.1, pp. 121-127, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2014.p0121, 2014.
-  Y. Hashimoto, R. Kondo, T. Furumoto, and A. Hosokawa, “Development of Highly Accurate Simulation Model of Wafer Behavior Considering Contact Between Wafer and Carrier during Double-Sided Lapping,” J. of JSPE, Vol.83, Issue 5, pp. 433-438, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.83.433, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  S. Matsui, F. Ohira, Y. Ishikawa, A. Une, and A. Shimizu, “Development of Pin-type Vacuum Chuck for High Precision Machining: Study on Precision Chucking with Pins,” J. of JSPE, Vol.63, Issue 12, pp. 1705-1709, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.63.1705, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kitajima, T. Fuji, N. Kawashima, M. Kumazawa, and I. Ishihara, “Fundamental Characteristics of a Freezing Chuck System for Brittle Material Machining,” Key Engineering Materials, Vols.257-258, pp. 113-118, doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.257-258.113, 2004.
-  A. Cherala, B. J. Choi, X. Lu, and S. V. Sreenivasan, “Active wafer shape modulation using a multi-actuator chucking system,” Precision Engineering, Vol.38, Issue 4, pp. 783-790, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2014.04.006, 2014.
-  W. Natsu, Y. Ito, M. Kunieda, K. Naoi, and N. Iguchi, “Effects of support method and mechanical property of 300mm silicon wafer on sori measurement,” Precision Engineering, Vol.29, No.1, pp. 19-26, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2004.03.004, 2005.
-  Y. Ito, W. Natsu, M. Kunieda, N. Maruya, and N. Iguchi, “Accuracy Estimation of Shape Measurement of Thin-Large Panel with Three-Point-Support inverting method,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.49, No.3, pp. 930-934, doi: 10.1299/jsmec.49.930, 2006.
-  Y. Ito and M. Kunieda, “Warp Measurement for Large-Diameter Silicon Wafer Using Four-Point-Support Inverting Method,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.5, pp. 721-727, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2017.p0721, 2017.
-  A. Une, Y. Ogawa, K. Yoshitomi, and M. Mochida, “Development of a Nondeforming Freezing Pin Chuck (3rd Report): Shear Peeling Strength of Freezing liquid and Deformation Caused by Solidification,” J. of JSPE, Vol.78, No.5, pp. 410-414, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.78.410, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  K. Yoshitomi, K. Takehana, A. Une, N. Ogasawara, and M. Mochida, “Development of a Freezing Pin Chuck for Polishing (1st Report): Tensile and Shear Stress during Polishing and Deformation of a Large Warpage Wafer Caused by Solidification,” J. of JSPE, Vol.80, Issue 10, pp. 950-955, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.80.950, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  A. Une, S. Ohbo, and M. Mochida, “Development of an Oscillation-Speed-Control-Type Sequential Grinding and Polishing Machine (1st Report): Machine Structure and Basic Polishing Characteristics,” J. of JSPE, Vol.68, Issue 3, pp. 461-465, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.68.461, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  A. Une, K. Yoshitomi, and M. Mochida, “High Flatness Polishing of Rectangular Glass Materials (2nd Report): Generation of a Center-axisymmetric Shape by Grinding and Compensation Method of Tool Inclination for Polishing Simulation,” J. of JSPE, Vol.74, Issue 1, pp. 82-86, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.74.82, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  L. Zhou, T. Shiina, Z. Qiu, J. Shimiz, T. Yamamoto, and T. Tashiro, “Research on chemo-mechanical grinding of large size quartz glass substrate,” Precision Engineering, Vol.33, Issue 4, pp. 499-504, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2009.01.006, 2009.
-  K. Wakamatsu, S. Kurokawa, T. Toyama, and T. Hayashi, “CMP characteristics of quartz glass substrate by aggregated colloidal ceria slurry,” Precision Engineering, Vol.60, pp. 458-464, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2019.06.014, 2019.
-  J. N. Israelachvili, “Intermolecular and surface forces,” Academic Press, 1991.
-  H. Taura and S. Kaneko, “Meniscus forces of liquid bridge between two parallel planes,” J. of JSME, Vol.78, Issue 790, pp. 2266-2277, doi: 10.1299/kikaic.78.2266, 2012 (in Japanese).