Processing with Application of High-Power Semiconductor Laser – Theoretical Analysis of Heat Source and Application to Surface Processing –
Research and Development Initiative, Chuo University
1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
Since the semiconductor laser has a high conversion efficiency, it has many expectations for effective application. There are increasing application trials of processing at actual factories and jobsites. Moreover, it can currently be used as a heat source to directly conduct processing. This is called direct-diode laser (DDL). However, since there is almost no information regarding the DDL structure and beam mode, there are no scientific documents for the theoretical treatment of this heat source. This is considered to have interfered with the broad application for development. This research establishes the theoretical analysis of the semiconductor heat source for material processing, and we attempted to employ a simulation for processing. To verify the established theory, surface hardening and welding processing were performed as typical processing.
-  H. Kawasumi and T. Arai, “Studies on Surface Hardening wit CO2 Laser (1st Report) – On the Effects of Rectangular and Modified Rectangular to Laser to Laser Hardening –,” J. of Japan Soc. of Prec. Engg., Vol.47, No.6, pp. 669-674, 1981 (in Japanese).
-  H. Kawasumi and T. Arai, “Studies on Surface Hardening wit CO2 Laser (2nd Report) – On the Effects of Heart Source Pattern of Gaussian and Doughnut Beam to the Laser Hardening –,” J. of Japan Soc. of Prec. Engg., Vol.47, No.12, pp. 1470-1475, 1981 (in Japanese).
-  H. Kawasumi and T. Arai, “Studies on Surface Hardening wit CO2 Laser – Effects of Metal Thickness and Irradiation Angle on Characteristics of Laser Hardening –,” J. of Japan Soc. of Prec. Engg., Vol.48, No.9, pp. 1238-1243, 1982 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Arata et al., “Application of Material Processing,” I.I.W. Proc., 212-436-78, 1978.
-  L. Li, “The advances and characteristics of high-power diode laser materials processing,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.34, Issues 4-6, pp. 231-253, 2000.
-  L. Qi and Y. Namba, “Precision laser adjustment using CW diode laser,” Precision Engineering, Vol.35, No.1, pp. 126-132, 2011.
-  T. Manzur, A. J. DeMaria, W. Chen, and C. Roychoudhuri, “Potential role of high-power laser diode in manufacturing,” Proc. of Photonics West’96, 1996, San Jose, CA, United States, Vol.2703, pp. 490-501, 1996.
-  F. Bachmann, “Industrial applications of high power diode lasers in materials processing,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.208, No.1, pp. 125-136, 2003.
-  E. Kennedy, G. Byrne, and D. N. Collins, “A review of the use of high power diode lasers in surface hardening,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vols.155-156, pp. 1855-1860, 2004.
-  G. Costa Rodrigues, J. Pencinovsky, M. Cuypers, and J. R. Duflou, “Laser cutting with direct diode laser,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.61, pp. 31-38, 2014.
-  G. Costa Rodrigues, M. Cuypers, E. Fallahi Sichani, K. Kellens, and J. R. Duflou, “Laser cutting with direct diode laser,” Physics Procedia, Vol.41, pp. 558-565, 2013.
-  S. W. Williams, G. Scott, and N. J. Calder, “Direct Diode Laser Welding of Aerospace Alloys,” LaserOpto, Vol.33, No.4, pp. 50-54, 2001.
-  T. Arai, T. Asano, S. Suzuki, and Y. Harada, “Several Processing with the High Power DDL Laser,” Proc. of Japan Soc. of Prec. Engg., 2013 Spring Meeting, pp. 578-580, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  M. Reyes, K. M. Nowak, F. Villarreal-Saucedo, B. Chann, W. Zhou, and P. Tayebati, “Dynamic Beam Shaper (DBS) for high-power/high-brightness direct diode laser (DDL),” Proc. SPIE 10744, Laser Beam Shaping XVIII, 107440W, 2018.
-  H. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger, “Heat Conduction in Solid,” Oxford University Press., p. 225, 1957.
-  T. Arai, “High power laser Processing Technology,” Machinist Publishing, p. 164, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  T. Arai, “Metal surface Hardening with CO2 Laser,” Ph.D. thesis, Chuo University, pp. 76-78, 1983.
-  Y. S. Touloukian et al., “Thermal conductivity: Metallic Elements and Alloys,” Plenum Press, 1970.
-  D. T. Swift-Hook, “Thermophysical Properties,” Physics in Technology, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 88-92, 1985.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.