New Magnetic Abrasive Finishing for Alumina Ceramic Plane Using Alternating Magnetic Fields
Chaowen Dong and Yanhua Zou
Graduate School of Engineering, Utsunomiya University
7-1-2 Yoto, Utsunomiya, Tochigi 321-8585, Japan
In this paper, we propose a new plane magnetic abrasive finishing method, applicable to planes, that uses the alternating magnetic fields to solve problems such as the easy deformation and poor recovery of a magnetic brush in conventional magnetic abrasive finishing method. Compared with the magnetic brush used in conventional magnetic abrasive finishing, that in the new method can stably shape a workpiece under an alternating magnetic field. To determine the optimal finishing parameters, we focused on studying the effects of spindle rotational speed, size of diamond particle, and frequency of alternating magnetic field on the finishing surface. Then, according to the obtained optimal finishing parameters, multi-stage finishing experiments were performed with the new method. The results show that surface roughness can be improved from 230 nm Ra to 19 nm Ra in 60 min with the proposed method.
-  T. Shinmura, K. Takazawa, and E. Hatano, “Study on magnetic abrasive process – application to plane finishing,” Bull. Japan. Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol.19, No.4, pp. 289-294, 1985.
-  T. Shinmura, “Study on magnetic abrasive finishing – characteristics of finished surface,” Bull. Japan. Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol.53, No.11, pp. 1791-1793, 1987.
-  Y. H. Zou, A. Y. Jiao, and T. Aizawa, “Study on Plane Magnetic Abrasive Finishing Process – Experimental and Theoretical Analysis on Polishing Trajectory,” Advanced Materials Research, Vols.126-128, pp, 1023-1028, 2010.
-  Y. H. Zou and T. Shinmura, “Mechanism of a Magnetic Field Assisted Finishing Process Using a Magnetic Tool and Magnetic Particles,” Key Engineering Materials., Vol.339, pp. 106-113, 2007.
-  A. Y. Jiao, H. J. Quan, Z. Z. Li, and Y. H. Zou, “Study on Improving the Trajectory to Elevate the Surface Quality of Plane Magnetic Abrasive Finishing,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., doi: 10.107/s00170-015-7136-9, 2015.
-  D. K. Singh, V. K. Jain, V. Raghuram, and R. Komanduri, “Analysis of surface texture generated by a flexible magnetic abrasive brush,” Wear, Vol.259, Issues 7-12, pp. 1254-1261, 2005.
-  V. K. Jain, “Advanced machining processes,” Allied Publishers, 2009.
-  T. Shinmura, K. Takazawa, E. Hatano, M. Matsunaga, and T. Matsuo, “Study on magnetic abrasive finishing,” CIRP Ann.-Manuf. Techn., Vol.39, No.1, pp. 325-328, 1990.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.