Automatic Control and Simulation of an Overhead Crane’s Travel System
Xuyang Cao*,†, Bo Zhang**, Zhiyong Li*, and Binghan Xi*
*School of Mechanical Engineering, Dalian University of Technology
No.2 Linggong Road, Ganjingzi District, Dalian, Liaoning 116024, China
**United Automotive Electronic Systems Co., Ltd., Shanghai, China
A low level of automation, low accuracy of control, and high dependence on operator proficiency are general deficiencies of traditional overhead cranes. In order to improve the level of automation of overhead cranes, genetic algorithms and the grid method were applied to plan the global path of an overhead crane in a static environment. An automatic travel control system for an overhead crane was designed on the soft PLC platform CoDeSys. A slip control variable frequency regulating system was used to guarantee the accuracy of the travel system. A Simulink model of the slip control variable frequency regulating system was built with parameters optimized, and the control signal generated by the PLC was input into the model to conduct the simulation, which verified the feasibility of automation and the accuracy of the control system.
-  F. Omar, F. Karray, O. Basir, and L. Yu, “Autonomous overhead crane system using a fuzzy logic controller,” JVC/Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol.10, No.9, pp. 1255-1270, 2004.
-  F. Xu, Y.-Q. Yang, and Z.-Z. Jin, “Technicaal transformation of frequency control of electric traction on bridge crane lifting mechanism,” Electric Switcher, No.1, pp. 41-43, 2007.
-  M. Zhang, H.-X. Cui, J. Li, and C.-M. He, “Accurate positioning and anti-sway for the nuclear waste self-control crane,” Machinery Design & Manufacture, Vol.5, pp. 60-62, 2014.
-  M. Bonfea, C. Fantuzzi, and C. Secchi, “Design patterns for model-based automation software design and implementation,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.21, pp. 1608-1619, 2013.
-  T.-T. Gou, “Study on some issues for vector control technology of induction motor,” Xidian University, pp. 9-23, 2010.
-  K. Xu and S. Liu, “Speed-sensorless vector control based on ANN MRAS for induction motor drives,” Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.19, pp. 127-133, 2015.
-  L.-L. Wang, C.-F. Kang, C. Ma, X. Huang, X. Zhu, and Q. Fang, “Design and implementation of embedded softplc system based on CoDeSys,” Modern Manufacturing Engineering, Vol.3, pp. 54-56, 2007.
-  R.-L. Ma and Z.-X. Guan, “Summarization for present situation and future development of path planning technology,” Modern Machinery, Vol.3, pp. 22-24, 2008.
-  X.-Y. Ou-yang and S.-G. Yang, “Obstacle avoidance path planning of mobile robots based on potential grid method,” Control Engineering of China, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 134-137, 2014.
-  J. Su and J. Li, “Path planning for mobile robots based on genetic algorithms,” Shenyang, China: IEEE Computer Society, 2013.
-  Y. Mutsuura, H. Kojima, Y. Takeuchi, and H. Saitou, “Quasi-minimum time trajectory planning method of robot arm with electromagnetic attraction hand using genetic algorithms and experiments,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.3, pp. 99-106, 2009.
-  N. Kubota, Y. Nojima, F. Kojima, T. Fukuda, and S. Shbata, “Path planning and control for a flexible transfer system,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, pp. 103-109, 2000.
-  Y. Kawasaki, A. Kaneshige, and S. Ueki, “Development of the autonomous mobile overhead traveling crane in consideration of on-line obstacle recognition, path planning and oscillating control,” Vienna, Austria: SciTePress, 2014.
-  T. Akamatsu, A. Kaneshige, Y. Shiramatsu, and H. Fujimoto, “On-line path planning and obstacle recognition for an autonomous mobile overhead traveling crane,” Okayama, Japan: Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE), 2005.
-  A. Kaneshige, T. Akamatsu, H. Fujimoto, and K. Terashima, “The on-line obstacle recognition, path planning and transferring of an overhead carne system,” Delft, Netherlands: IFAC Secretariat, 2006.
-  S. Nagai, A. Kaneshige, and S. Ueki, “Three-dimensional obstacle avoidance online path-planning method for autonomous mobile overhead crane,” Beijing, China: IEEE Computer Society, 2011.
-  A. Kaneshige, S. Hasegawa, and K. Terashima, “The development of an autonomous mobile crane system considering on-line obstacle recognition and path planning,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 131-140, 2008.
-  L.-S. Xia and W.-S. Yan, “Study on mobile robot motion planning based on grid method,” Computer Simulation, Vol.29, No.12, pp. 229-233, 2012.
-  W.-X. Zhang and Z. Liang, “Mathematical foundation of genetic algorithms,” XI’AN Jiaotong University Press, 2000.
-  Z. Lei, H. Taghaddos, U. Hermann, and M. Al-Hussein, “A methodology for mobile crane lift path checking in heavy industrial projects,” Automation in Construction, Vol.31, pp. 41-53, 2013.
-  A. Kaneshige, S. Nagai, S. Ueki, T. Miyoshi, and K. Terashima, “Development of the autonomous overhead traveling crane with real time path-planning based on obstacle information,” 13th IFAC Symposium on Control in Transportation Systems, Vol.13, pp. 30-35, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.