Basic Properties of Fixed Abrasive Polishing by Alumina Abrasive Grain for Si Wafer – Effects of Actual Contact Area and Grain Size –
Graduate school of Engineering, Utsunomiya University, 7-1-2 Yoto, Utsunomiya-shi, Tochigi 321-8585, Japan
To investigate basic polishing properties of fixed abrasive polishing using alumina abrasive grain for Si wafer, we used a pyramidal structured polishing pad having alumina abrasives and aqueous KOH solution as the polishing fluid. We clarified that the optimum KOH solution concentration required to get a smooth surface 5 wt% and finished surface roughness of 80nmRz. The cutting edge was hardly worn and polishing performance was maintained without dressing.
-  T. Kusumi, Y. Sato, H. Ikeda, Y. Akagami, and N. Umehara, “The development of AC electric field assisted polishing for silicon carbide substrates with control of abrasive behavior – Clarification of improvement mechanism for polishing rate with electric field –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.79, pp. 87-92, 2013.
-  T. Sakamoto, A. Kubota, and M. Touge, “Ultraviolet-assisted polishing of 2 inch SiC substrate,” J. of Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.57, pp. 524-529, 2013.
-  T. Kurita, K. Miyake, K. Kawata, K. Ashida, and T. Kato, “Development of new combined polishing process for single crystal silicon carbide,” J. of Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.58, pp. 30-35, 2014.
-  T. Ito and K. Morishge, “Polishing process automation by industrial robots with polished surface quality judged based on imaging processing,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, pp. 130-135, 2009.
-  Y. Ueki, K. Morishige, T. Ishida, and Y. Takeuchi, “Automation of polishing process by industrial robots – polishing path generation in consideration of surface curvature –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.70, pp. 1522-1526, 2004.
-  F. Nagata and K. Watanabe, “Feed rate control using fuzzy reasoning for a mold polishing robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, pp. 76-82, 2006.
-  K. Shibuya and S. Issiki, “Evaluation of metallic mold surfaces polished by an industrial robot with stick whetstones,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, pp. 253-263, 2014.
-  F. Nagata, K.Watanabe, S. Hashino, H. Tanaka, T. Matsuyama, and K. Hara, “Polishing robot using joystick controlled teaching,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.13, pp. 517-525, 2001.
-  S. Kishii, R. Suzuki, A. Ohishi, and Y. Arimoto, “Completely planarized W plugs using MnO2 CMP,” Proc. of 1995 IEEE Int. Electron Device Meeting Technical Digest, pp. 465-468, 1995.
-  T. Doi, M. Uneda, and T. Funakoshi, “CMP slurry recycle technique and its impact,” J. of Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.56, pp. 364-367, 2012.
-  N. Yasunaga, “The latest trend of advanced fixed abrasive finishing methods,” J. of Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.53, No.7, pp. 401-404, 2009.
-  H. Ohmori, W. Lin, Y. Uehara, Y. Watanabe, S. Morita, T. Suzuki, and K. Katahira, “Nanoprecision micromechanical fabrication,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, pp. 24-33, 2008.
-  H. Ohmori and Y. Uehara, “Development of a desktop machine tool for mirror surface grinding,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.4, pp. 88-96, 2010.
-  L. Zhou, J. Shimizu, H. Eda, and S. Kimura, “Research on Chemo-Mechanical-Grinding (CMG) of Si wafer – 2nd report: generation of defect free surface on φ 300mm Si wafer by fixed abrasive process –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.71, pp. 466-470, 2005.
-  K. Ohashi, R. Nishikawa, S. Tsukamoto, N. Tada, and T. Nakajima, “Improving process of surface roughness with super-soft grade resinoid bond wheel (2nd report) – grinding method based on the minimizing phenomenon of surface roughness –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.70, pp. 1291-1295, 2004.
-  A. Takata, K. Jodan, Y. Tsuruta, K. Matsumaru, and K. Ishizaki, “The technology of fixed abrasive polishing by special diamond grinding wheels,” J. of Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.53, pp. 413-416, 2009.
-  M. Uneda, K. Ishikawa, and H. Suwabe, “Grinding simulation with diamond pellets and optimization of layout method of pellets using genetic algorithm,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.71, pp. 644-648, 2005.
-  S. Katagiri, K. Yasui, U. Yamaguchi, Y. Kawamura, R. Kawai, F. Kanai, M. Tokuda, M. Honda, and S. Moriyama, “Study on STI planarization process using fixed abrasive tool (1st Report) – factor analysis to obtain flatter surface –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.70, No.5, pp. 128-132, 2004.
-  Y. Wu, W. Yang, M. Fujimoto, and L. Zhou, “Mirror surface finishing of silicon wafer edge using ultrasonic assisted fixed-abrasive CMP (UF-CMP),” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, pp. 663-670, 2013.
-  H. Yasui and T. Sawa, “Ultra-smoothness grinding of fine ceramic by coarse grain size diamond wheel – effect of grinding fluid –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.70, pp. 848-852, 2004.
-  H. Yasui and T. Sawa, “Ultra-smoothness grinding of fine ceramics by coarse grain size diamond wheel – effect of grinding fluid (continued report) –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.70, pp. 1423-1427, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.