Modeling and Analysis of the Droplet Landing Process in Cell Direct-Writing
Cai Renye*,** and Huang Jin*,**
*Key Laboratory of Electronic Equipment Structure Design, Ministry of Education, Xidian University, 2 South Taibai Road, Xi’an, China
**Research Institute on Mechatronics, Xidian University, 2 South Taibai Road, Xi’an, China
Cell direct-write, a promising technology for the creation of complex, three-dimensional tissue constructs, has great potential in tissue engineering, biological cytology, high-throughput drug screening and cell sensors. However, it has been found that cell damage due to the mechanical impact during cell direct-write is a possible hurdle for broad applications of fragile cell direct writing. The objective of this paper is to analyze the impact of the continuously jetted cell droplets on the hydro-gel coating substrate. In order to avoid the element distortion due to large-scale deformation, a mesh-free Smooth Particle Hydrodynamic method (SPH), is introduced to study the impact-induced cell mechanical loading profile during cell landing, including effective stress, plastic strain, velocity and acceleration, for better understanding and prediction of possible impact-induced cell damage. It is found that three important impact processes, cell-hydrogel, cellcell and cell-substrate impact, may occur during cell landing. It is concluded to decrease impact-induced cell damage, there are an appropriate firing period and jetting velocity.
-  Y. Lin, Y. Huang, and D. B. Chrisey, “Metallic Foil-Assisted Laser Cell Printing,” J BIOMECH ENG., Vol.133, pp. 0250011-0250015, 2011.
-  D. J. Odde and M. J. Renn, “Laser-Guided Direct Writing of Living Cells,” Biotechnol. Bioeng., Vol.67, pp. 312-318, 2000.
-  J. A. Barron, B. R. Ringeisen, H. Kim, B. J. Spargo, and D. B. Chrisey, “Application of Laser Printing to Mammalian Cells,” Thin Solid Films, Vol.453-454, pp. 383-387, 2004.
-  W. Wang, Y. Huang, M. Grujicic, and D. B. Chrisey, “Study of Impact-induced Mechanical Efects in Cell Direct Writing Using Smooth Particle Hydrodynamic Method,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.130, pp. 021012-1-021012-10, 2008.
-  S. Lee and A. G. Doukas, “Laser-generated stress waves and their effects on the cell membrane,” JSTQE., Vol.5, pp. 997-1003, 1999.
-  G. Martin, A. Deiwick, L. Koch, S. Schile, C. Unger, N. Hofmann, I. Bernemann, B. Glasmacher, and B. Chichkov, “Laser Printing of Stem Cells for Biofabrication of Scaffold-Free Autologous Grafts,” TISSUE ENG., Vol.C17, pp. 79-87, 2011.
-  Y. Lin, G. H. Huang, Y. Huang, T.-R. J. Tzeng, and D. Chrisey, “Effect of laser fluence in laser-assisted direct writing of human colon cancer cell,” RAPID PROTOTYPING, Vol.J16, pp. 202-208, 2010.
-  B. R. Ringeisen, H. Kim, J. A. Barron, D. B. Krizman, D. B. Chrisey, S. Jackman, R. Y. C. Auyeung, and B. J. Spargo, “Laser Printing of Pluripotent Embryonal Carcinoma Cells,” TISSUE ENG., Vol.10, pp. 483-491, 2004.
-  W. Wang, G. Li, and Y. Huang, “Modeling of Bubble Expansion-Induced CellMechanical Profile in Laser-Assisted Cell DirectWriting,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.131, pp. 0510131-05101310, 2009.
-  M. Li, X. Y. Tian, N. Zhu, D. J. Schreyer, and X. B. Chen, “Modeling Process-Induced Cell Damage in the Biodispensing Process,” TISSUE ENG., Vol.C16, pp. 533-542, 2010.
-  W. Wang, Y. Huang, and D. B. Chrisey, “Numerical Study of Droplet and Hydrogel Coating Impact Process in Cell Direct Writing,” TRANS N AMER MANUFAC., Vol.35, pp. 217-224, 2007.
-  T. Stranex and S. Wheaton, “A New Corrective Scheme for SPH,” Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., Vol.200, pp. 392-402, 2011.
-  J. O. Hallquist (Ed.), “LS-DYNA Theory Manual,” Livermore, CA, 2006.
-  C. T. Lim, E. H. Zhou, and S. T. Quek, “Mechanical Models for Living Cells – A Review,” J. Biomech., Vol.39, pp. 195-216, 2006.
-  T. S. Lanero, O. Cavalleri, S. Krol et al., “Mechanical properties of single living cells encapsulated in polyelectrolyte matrixes,” J. Biotechnology, Vol.124, pp. 723-731, 2006.