Cutting Characteristics of CFRP Materials with Carbon Fiber Distribution
Takashi Inoue* and Masahiro Hagino**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Daido University, 10-3 Takiharu-cho, Minami-ku, Nagoya 457-8530, Japan
**Department of Material and Environmental Engineering, Daido University, 10-3 Takiharu-cho, Minami-ku, Nagoya 457-8530, Japan
This study details the machinability of CFRP materials with fiber orientation set Quasi-isotropic in the orientation of (0°, 45°, 90°, -45°), plain weave type in the orientation of (0°, 45°) and at random in using High-Speed Steel (HSS), Nitride HSS, Tungsten-Carbide, TiAlN-coated tungsten carbide and Poly-Crystalline Diamond (PCD). The influences of cutting distance, cutting force, cutting temperature and tool wear on the surface characteristics of the CFRP materials are also examined. The results of our experiments reveal that the cutting force and cutting temperature increases when cutting randomly-orientedmaterials irrespective of the type of cutting tool used. The increment of the cutting force obtained was about 5% compared to cutting plain weave type oriented materials. In addition, the cutting temperature of the central portion was 20°C higher than the surface temperature. The tool wear of straight-edge type PCD tools was about 0.1 mm at 30 m cutting distance, whereas, at sharp edge, and lead angle of 30°, the tool wear reached 0.1 mm at 9 m cutting distance. Additionally, the straight-edge type cutting tool showed better results with respect to adhesion of coated materials.
-  T. Inoue, M. Hagino, M. Matsui, and L.W. Gu, “Cutting Characteristics of CFRP Materials with End Milling,” J. of the Key Engineering Materials, Vol.407-408, pp. 710-713, 2009.
-  Y. Sawada, “New Introduction to Carbon Material 2.2 Carbon fiber,” Carbon Society of Japan, pp. 91-98, 1996.
-  S. Yamada, “Metal Matrix Composites,” Kantogakuin University, p. 34, 2006.
-  M. Nogami, “All of The Advanced Materials and New Materials,” Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun Ltd., p. 184, 2006.
-  K. Karino, “Cutting processing handbook of difficult cutting materials and new materials,” Kogyo Chosakai Publishing Co., Ltd., pp. 11-15, 2002.
-  K. Sakuma, M. Seto, M. Taniguchi, and Y. Yokoo, “Tool Wear in Cutting Carbon-Fiber-Reinforced-Plastics: The Effect of Physical Properties of Tool Materials,” J. of The Japanese Society of Mechanical engineering, Vol.30, No.13, pp. 656-666, 1985.
-  H. Yagishita, “Cutting Mechanism of Drilling CFRP Laminates and Effect of Ultrasonic Torsional Mode Vibration Cutting,” Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Technical Paper, p. 9, 2006.
-  S. Sakamoto, K. Higashinicho, and T. Matsutori, “High Precision Drilling of CFRP Plates by Method of Helical Cutting,” Proc. of The Japan Society for Mechanical Engineering, No.4, pp. 263-264, 2008.
-  M. Hagino, Y. Kurita, T. Inoue, K. Watanabe, and Y. Shimizu, “Drilling Characteristics with Modulated Rotation Spindle Mechanism,” Proc. of the Tenth Int. Conf. on Progress of Machining Technology, pp. 101-104, 2012.
-  NEDO PROJECT, “Research and Development on Carbon-Fiber-Reinforced-Composite Material of Automobile Weight-Saving,” Progress Report of NEDO, project No.P03005, 2008.
-  K. Asahina and S. Suzuki, “Trimming with a CFRP EndMill,” Proc. of The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, No.2, pp. 709-710, 1991.
-  T. Kaneeda, “CFRP Cutting Mechanism,” Society of Manufacturing Engineers, North American Manufacturing Research Institute, Vol.17, pp. 216-221, 1989.
-  M. Hagino, and T. Inoue, “Effect of Carbon Fiber Orientation and Helix Angle with CFRP Cutting Characteristics,” Proc. of the Tenth Int. Conf. on Progress of Machining Technology, pp. 23-26, 2012.
-  T. Ishikawa and Supervisor N. Shinya, “Frontiers of Nextgeneration Structural Materials,” CMC Co., Ltd., pp. 97-115, 2008.