Guidance and Control of Nursing Care Robot Using Gaze Point Detector and Linear Visual Servoing
Akimitsu Imasato* and Noriaki Maru**
*Shima Seiki Mfg., Ltd., 85 Sakata, Wakayama, Japan
**Faculty of Systems Engineering, Wakayama University, 930 Sakaedani, Wakayama, Wakayama 640-8510, Japan
The gaze guidance and control we propose for a nursing robot uses a gaze point detector (GPD) and linear visual servoing (LVS). The robot captures stereo camera images, presents them via a head-mounted display (HMD) to the user, calculates the user’s gaze tracked by the camera, and moves to gaze of the LVS. Since in the proposal, persons requiring nursing share the robot’s field of view via the GPD, the closer they get to the target, the more accurate control becomes. The GPD, on the user’s head, has an HMD and a CCD camera.
-  Soyama, Ishii, and Fukase, “Development of MY SPOON,” Proc. of 8th Int’l Conf. on Rehabiliation Robot, pp. 88-91, 2003.
-  Takahashi, Umeda, and Shibuya, “Development of Home Robot Control System using Razor Pointer,” Proc. of JSME ROBOMEC02,2P1-K03, 2002.
-  Iwamoto and Tanie, “Development of Gaze tracking HMD,” Proc. of 20th Conf. of RSJ, p.61, 2002.
-  I. Mitsugami, N. Ukita, and M. Kidode, “Robot Navigation by Eye Pointing,” Proc. of IFIP 4th International Conference on Entertainment Computing (ICEC2005), pp. 256-267, 2005.
-  L. E.Weiss, A. C. Sanderson, and C. P. Neuman, “Dynamic sensorbased control of robots with visual feedback,” IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation, RA-3(5), pp. 404-417, 1987.
-  T. Mitsuda, N. Maru, K. Fujikawa and F. Miyazaki, “Visual Servoing Based on the Use of Binocular Visual Space,” SICE, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 35-41, 1997.
-  K. Okamoto and N. Maru, “Following Motion Control of the Mobile Robot by Using Linear Visual Servoing,” JSME, 72-718 C, pp. 1840-1847, 2006.
-  Ebina, “Pointing System by Head Movement based on Pupil Detection Technology-Pupil Mouse,” Image Labo, 17.7, pp. 69-73, 2006.
-  Ono, Okabe, and Sato, “Estimation of Gaze Direction from Low Resolution Image Considering Uncertainty of Extracting Eye Region,” Transaction of Information Processing Society of Japan CVIM, Vol.47, No.SIG10, pp. 173-184, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.