Design Process Optimization for EcoDesign
Dept. of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering, University of Rome "La Sapienza''
Via Eudossiana 18, Rome 00184, Italy
The importance of the environmental sustainability of industrial products has become significant both because of the ever-stricter environmental legislation in the field, and the increased demand of customers concerning environmental issues. The development of sustainable products leads engineers to take into consideration environmental aspects in concurrency with traditional technical and economical aspects from the very beginning of design activities. Thus, the role of designers is clear in integrating environmental considerations into the product design activities, increasing the efficiency of the product, reducing waste of materials and energy, and controlling costs of all its life cycle stages. The output of the study consists of the development of an integrated design process model, called Operative EcoDesign Process, which is able to indicate in practice to designers the addresses that can be followed for a more effective and efficient action.
-  WCED, World Commission on Environment and Development, "Our common future," United Nations Report, 1987.
-  T. E. Graedel and B. R. Allenby, "Industrial Ecology," AT&T Bell Laboratoires, N.J., USA, 1995.
-  W. Dewulf and J. Duflou, "Integrating Eco-Design into Business Environments: A multi-level approach, Product Engineering: Eco-Design," Springer, pp. 29-42, 2004.
-  V. Hubka, M. M. Andreasen, and W. E. Eder, "Practical studies in systematic design," London, Butterworths, 1988.
-  W. E. Eder and S. Hosnedl, "Engineering Design Science -- Advances in definitions," AEDS Workshop, Pilsen, CD-Rom, 2005.
-  U. Pighini, "Introducing methodology in design tactics," Proc.of ICED 97, Tampere, ISBN 951-722-788-4, pp. 105-110, 1997.
-  N. Cross, "Engineering design methods," Wiley, N. Y., 1989.
-  V. Hubka and W. E. Eder, "Engineering Design," Heurista, Zürich, 1982.
-  E. Rovida and M. Fargnoli, "Some considerations about Design Education," Proc. of Design 2004, ISBN 953-6313-60-X, pp. 679-684, 2004.
-  M. M. Andreasen and L. Hein, "Integrated Product Development," Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987.
-  J. Schlickman, "ISO 9001:2000 -- Quality Management System Design," Artech House, M. A., ISBN 1-58053-526-7, 2003.
-  ISO/TR 14062:2002, "Environmental management -- Integrating environmental aspects into product design and development," 2002.
-  IEC, Guide 114:2005, "Environmentally conscious design -- Integrating environmental aspects into design and development of electro technical products," 2005.
-  G. Prudhomme, P. Zwolinski, and D. Brissaud, "Integrating into the design process needs of those involved in the product life cycle," J. of Eng. Design, Vol.114/3, pp. 333-353, 2003.
-  M. Fargnoli, "An Integrated Approach for the Development and Management of Environmentally Conscious Products," Proc. of EcoDesign 2005, pp. 2A-3-3F, 2005.
-  EU, "Directive 2002/95/EC on the Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic equipment (RoHS)," Official Journal of the European Union, No.L37, pp. 19-23, 2003.
-  EU, "Directive 2002/96/EC on Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)," Official Journal of the European Union, No.L37, pp. 24-38, 2003.
-  EU, "Directive 2005/32/EC establishing a framework for the setting of ecodesign requirements for energy-using products (EuP)," Official Journal of the European Union, No.L191 pp. 29-58, 2005.
-  ISO 14024:1999, "Environmental labels and declarations -- Type I environmental labelling -- Principles and procedures," 1999.
-  ISO 14021:1999, "Environmental labels and declarations -- Self-declared environmental claims, Type II environmental labelling," 1999.
-  ISO 14025:2006, "Environmental labels and declarations -- Type III environmental declarations -- Principles and procedures," 2006.
-  F. Kimura, "Life Cycle Design for Inverse Manufacturing," Proc. of EcoDesign 99, Tokyo, pp. 995-999, 1999.
-  T. Tomiyama, Y. Umeda, and D. R. Wallace, "A Holistic Approach to Life Cycle Design," in Life Cycle Networks, F.L. Krause and G. Seliger (Eds.), Chapman & Hall, London, pp. 92-103, 1997.
-  Y. Umeda, A. Nonomura, and T. Tomiyama, "Study on life-cycle design for the post mass production paradigm," J. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Cambridge University Press, Vol.14-2, pp. 149-161, 2000.
-  H. Brezet and C. Hemel, "ECODESIGN -- A promising approach to sustainable production and consumption," UNEP publication, ISBN928071631-X, 1997.
-  M. Ernzer and H. Birkhofer, "Selecting Methods for Life Cycle Design Based on the Needs of a Company, Proc. of Design 2002, Vol.2, pp. 1305-1310, 2002.
-  U. Tischner and R. Nickel, "Eco-design in the printing industry. Life cycle thinking: implementation of eco-design concepts and tools into the routine procedures of companies" J. of Sustainable Product Design, Vol.3, pp. 19-27, 2003.
-  M. Fargnoli and T. Sakao, "Coordinating Ecodesign Methods in Early Stages of Industrial Product Design, Int. J. of Environmentally Conscious Design and Manufacturing, Vol.14-2, ECM Press, ISSN 1095-807X, pp. 35-65, 2008.
-  M. Fargnoli and F. Kimura, "The Screening Life Cycle Modelling in the Sustainable Product Design," in Innovation in Life Cycle Engineering and Sustainable Development, D. Brissaud, S. Tichkiewitch and P. Zwolinski (Eds.), Springer-Verlag, ISBN: 1-4020-4601-4, pp. 281-292, 2006.
-  M. Fargnoli, G. Di Gravio, F. Costantino, and S. Bisillo, "Environmental Regulations in Life Cycle Design activities," Proc. of EGG Care Innovation 2008 Conf., pp. 467-472, 2008.
-  HB 207.5-2005, "Australian Handbook -- Environmental Management -- Integrating environmental aspects into design and development of electro-technical products," underline http://www.standars.com.au, 2005.
-  P. Park, K. Tahara, and A. Inaba, "Product quality-based eco-efficiency applied to digital cameras," J. Environmental Management, doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2006.02.006, 2005.
-  JEMAI, Japan Environmental Management Association for Industry, "Study on the Introduction and Promotion of Environmentally Conscious Business Activities," http://www.jemai.or.jp/english/dfe/pdf/dfe_2000.pdf, 2000.
-  K. Masui, T. Sakao, M. Kobayashi, and A. Inaba, "Applying Quality Function Deployment to Environmentally Conscious Design," Int. Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 90-106, 2003.
-  U. Lindhahl and J. Tingstrom, "A small textbook on Environmental Effect Analysis," Department of Technology, University of Kalmar Press, 2001.
-  F. Kimura and H. Suzuki, "Product Life Cycle Modelling for Inverse Manufacturing," in Life Cycle Modeling for Innovative Products, F.L. Krause and G. Seliger (Eds.), Chapman & Hall, pp. 80-89, 1995.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.