Tele-Inverse Manufacturing -- An International E-Waste Recycling Proposal
Mitsutaka Matsumoto, Nozomu Mishima, and Shinsuke Kondoh
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
Tsukuba East, 1-2-1, Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8564, Japan
-  Basel Action Network and Silicon Valley Toxic Coalition, “Exporting Harm,” 2002.
-  A. Leung, Z. Cai, and M. Wong, “Environmental contamination from electronic waste recycling at Guiyu, southeast China,” Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management, Vol.8, pp. 21-33, 2006.
-  S. Murakami, A. Terazono, N. Abe, Y. Moriguchi, and H. Miyakawa, “Material flows of end-of-life home appliances in Japan,” Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management, Vol.8, pp. 46-55, 2006.
-  J. Li, B. Tian, T. Liu, H. Liu, X. Wen, and S. Honda, “Status quo of e-waste management in mainland China,” Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management, Vol.8, pp. 13-20, 2006.
-  M. Marks, C. Eubanks, and K. Ishii, “Life-cycle clumping of product designs for ownership and retirement,” Fifth International Conference on Design Theory and Methodology, ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences, pp. 83-90, 1993.
-  K. Ishii, B. Lee, and C. Eubanks, “Design for product retirement and modularity based on technology life-cycle,” Proc 1995 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition, Vol.2-2, pp. 921-33, 1995.
-  J. Scheuring, B. Bras, and K. Lee, “Effects of design for disassembly on integrated disassembly and assembly processes,” Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Computer Integrated Manufacturing and Automation Technology. pp. 53-59, 1994.
-  V. Guide and R. Srivastava, “Scheduling policies for remanufacturing,” International Journal of Production Economics. Vol.48, No.2, pp. 187-204, 1997.
-  M. Fleischmann, J. Bloemho-Ruwaard, R. Dekker, E. Van der Laan, J. Van Nunen, and L. Van Wassenhove, “Quantitative models for reverse logistics: a review,” European Journal of Operations Research. Vol.103, pp. 1-17, 1997.
-  A. Weigl, “Requirements for robot assisted disassembly of not appropriately design electronic products: lessons from first studies,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, pp. 337-343, 1994.
-  A. Coutee, S. McDermott, and B. Bras, “A Haptic Assembly and Disassembly Simulation Environment and Associated Computational Load Optimization Techniques,” Journal of Computing & Information Science in Engineering, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 113-122, 2001.
-  R. Knoth, B. Kopacek, and P. Kopacek, “Case Study: Multi Life Cycle Center for Electronic Products,” Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics & the Environment, pp. 194-198, 2005.
-  B. Basdere and G. Seliger, “Disassembly factories for electrical and electronic products to recover resources in product and material cycles,” Environmental Science and Technology, Vol.37, No.23, pp. 5354-5362, 2003.
-  M. McIntosh and B. Bras, “Determining the value of remanufacture in an integrated manufacturing -- remanufacturing organization,” Paper No.98DETC-DFM5750, 1998 Design for Manufacture Symposium, 1998 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers in Engineering Conference, 1998.
-  A. Clegg, D. Williams, and R. Uzsoy, “Production planning for companies with remanufacturing capability,” IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment. pp. 186-191, 1995.
-  R. Uzsoy, “Production planning for companies with product recovery and remanufacturing capability,” IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, pp. 285-289, 1997.
-  J. Fujimoto, Y. Umeda, S. Kondoh, Z. Li, K. Nakakura, and M. Kuwatani, “EcoDesign of Multilateral Recycling Systems in Asia,” 4th International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing, 2005.
-  R. Lund and F. Skeels, “Guidelines for an original equipment manufacturer starting a remanufacturing operation,” Government Report, DOE/CS/40192, CPA-83-8. Cambridge, MA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Policy Alternatives, 1983.
-  R. Lund and W. Denny, "Opportunities and implications of extending product life," Symp on Product Durability and Life, Gaithersburg, MD, pp. 1-11, 1977. H. Haynsworth and R. Lyons, "Remanufacturing by design, the missing link," Prod Invent Mgmt 1987, Vol.28, No.2, pp. 24-29.
-  C. Hageluken and T. V. Kerchhoven, “Improving resource recovery from e-scrap recycling -- a holistic approach,” Proc. of the 6^rm th international symp. on Going Green Care Innovation, 2006.
-  T. Tasaki, A. Terazono, and Y. Moriguchi, “Effective assessment of Japanese recycling law for electrical home appliances -- four years after full enforcement of the law,” Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics & the Environment, pp. 243-248, 2005.
-  E. Williams, "Environmental impacts in the production of personal computers," In: R. Kuehr, E. Williams (Eds.), "Computers and the Environment: Understanding and managing their impacts," Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003.
-  M. Tekawa, S. Miyamoto, and A. Inaba, “Life cycle assessment; an approach to environmentally friendly PCs,” Proceedings of the 1997 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, pp. 125-130, 1997.
-  A. Yoshida, T. Tasaki, and A. Terazono, “Material flow of used PCs in Japan,” Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, pp. 46-51, 2007.
-  J. Williams, “A review of electronics demanufacturing processes,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol.47, pp. 195-208, 2006.
-  B. Bras and M. McIntosh, “Product, process, and organizational design for remanufacture -- an overview of research,” Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.15, pp. 167-178, 1999.
-  T. Friedman, “The world is flat,” Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2005.
-  A. Blinder, “Offshoring: the next industrial revolution?,” Foreign Affairs, Vol.85, No.2, pp. 113-128, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.