Robust Vibration Control of a Flexible Robot Arm Carrying an Uncertain Load That Causes Bending/Torsional Coupling
Toru Watanabe, Kohsuke Yamamoto, Kohei Takamura,
and Kazuto Seto
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, College of Science & Technology, Nihon University, 1-8 Kanda Surugadai, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8308, Japan
This paper presents the design procedure of a robust H∞ controller for bending/torsional coupled vibration of a flexible robot arm. If the arm does not hold the center of the load, it possesses bending/torsional coupled vibration modes that may not be precisely identified. In this research, we use H∞ robust control design with structured uncertainties used to describe the model error in the coupling of bending/torsional vibration. We set up an experimental system and identify two physical models using Seto’s modeling method. An H∞ controller is designed using these models and control simulations and experiments are conducted. Our results demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of the proposed modeling and controller design method.
and Kazuto Seto, “Robust Vibration Control of a Flexible Robot Arm Carrying an Uncertain Load That Causes Bending/Torsional Coupling,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.4, pp. 426-433, 2004.
-  A. Maekawa, T. Kawamura, and Y. Tanaka, “Control of a 2-Link Flexible Arm (2nd Report, Evaluation of the Robust Stability against Vibrations of an Arm’s Configuration and a Tip Mass and related Experiments),” JSME Int. J., Ser. C, 57-539, pp. 2321-2327, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  H. Sakamoto, and K. Nonami, “Gain-Scheduled H∞ Control Based System Design for Positioning and Vibration Control of Two-Link Flexible Arm,” JSME Int. J., Ser. C, 68-670, pp. 1753-1758, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  K. Seto, and S. Mitsuda, “A New Method for Making a Reducedorder Model of Flexible Structures Using Unobservability and Uncontrollability and Its Application in Vibration Control,” Proceeding of MOVIC’92, Yokohama, Vol.1, pp. 153-158, 1992.
-  J. C. Doyle, K. Glover, P. P. Khargonekar, and B. A. Fransis, “State-Space solutions to Standard H2 and H∞ Control Problems,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol.AC-34, No.8, pp. 831-847, 1989.
-  T. Watanabe, and K. Yosida, “Robust Vibration Control for a Flexible Structure Taking Account of Parameter Variations and Residual Dynamics,” Proceeding of the 5th International Conference on Adaptive Structures, pp. 387-396, 1995.
-  K. Seto, “Many Modes of Vibration Control for Flexible Structures using H-infinity Based Robust Control,” Proceeding of the Second Japan-Korea Symposium of Frontiers in Vibration Science and Technology, pp. 21-27, 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.