Development of Horse-Type Quadruped Robot (Report2, Experiments of Trot Gait by Quadruped Robot PONY)
Shinobu Makita, Daisuke Nishimura, and Junji Furusho
Department of Computer-Controlled Mechanical Systems, Osaka University, 2-1, Yamadaoka, Suita-shi, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
In this paper, we studied the equine gait, focusing on trotting, to realize a horse-type trot using a quadruped robot. Mammals use energy stored in the tendons during supporting phase. The change of angle in the equine fetlock stretches the tendons, storing energy. Fetlock movement is passively controlled by tendons, not actively controlled by muscles. We developed an equine quadruped robot, which uses actuators consisting of a serially connected motor and spring corresponding to equine muscles and tendons, e.g., the superficial digital flexor muscle. In this paper, we discuss simulation experiments showing the effectiveness of the motor-spring system, then PONY’s horse-like trot.
-  R. B. McGhee, and A. A. Frank, “On the stability Propertes of Quadruped Creeping Gaits, Mathematical Biosciences,” Vol.3, pp. 331-351, 1968.
-  J. Furusho, “Evolution of Research on Legged Locomotion-Perspective of Special Issue on Walking Robot-,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 306-313, 1993.
-  M. H. Raibert, M. Chepponis and H. B. Brown, Jr., “Running on Four Legs As Through They were One,” IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation, Vol.RA-2, No.2, pp.70-82, 1986.
-  H. Mirura, I. Shinoyama, M. Mitsuishi, and H. Kimura, “Dynamical Walk of Quadruped Robot,” Cambridge, MA, MIT Press, 1985.
-  H. Kimura, I. Shimoyama, H. Mirura, “Dynamics and Control of the Quadruped Robot Dynamic Walk by use of the Redundancy of Actuators Caused by the Multiple Touching Legs,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1995), Vol.55, No.517, pp. 2396-2410, 1995.
-  S. Hirose, K. Yoneda, “Dynamic & Static Fusion Control and Continuous Trajectory Generation of Quadruped Walking Robot,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan , Vol.9, No.3, pp. 267-275, 1991.
-  R. Kurazume, A. Haishi, K. Yoneda, S. Hirose, “Stabilizing Control for Dynamically Stable Walking of Quadruped Walking Robot,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan , Vol.19, No.3, pp. 380-386, 2001.
-  T. Emura and A. Arakawa, “Attitude Control of a Quadruped Robot during Two Leg Supporting,” Proc. 5th Int. Conf. Advanced Robotics, Piza, pp. 711-716, 1991.
-  Y. Sakakibara, K. Kan, Y. Hosoda, M. Hattori, M. Fujii, “Low Impact Foot trajectory for a Quadruped Walking Machine,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan , Vol.8, No.6, pp. 662-671, 1990.
-  Y. Takita and K. Seto, “The Semi-Dynamical Walking of a Quadruped Robot,” Proc. USA-JAPAN Symp. Flexible Automation, pp. 681-686, 1988.
-  S. Akiyama, H. Kimura, “Dynamic Quadruped Walk Using Neural Oscillators Realization of Pace and Trot” Proceedings of The 13 th Annual Conference of RSJ, pp.227-228, 1995.
-  H. Kimura, K. Sakurama and S. Akiyama, “Dynamic walking and running of the quadruped using neural oscillator,” Proc. Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS ’98), 1998.
-  Y. Fukuoka, H. Kimura, “Biologically Inspired Adaptive Dynamic Walking of a Quadruped Robot on Irregular Terrain Adjustment based on somatic sensation and vestibular sensation,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.19, No.4, pp. 510-517, 2001.
-  G. Hawker, and M. Buehler, “Quadruped Trotting with Passive Knees-Design, Control, and Experiments,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 444-449, 2000.
-  D. Papadopoulos, and M. Buehler, “Stable Runnning in a Quadruped Robot with Compliant Legs,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3046-3051, 2000.
-  J. Furusho, A. Sano, M. Sakaguchi and E. Koizumi, “Realization of Bounce Gait in a Quadruped Robot with Articular-joint-type legs,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp.697-702, 1995.
-  A. Sano, J. Furusho, S. Ozeki, “A Pace Gait of Quadruped Robot Based on The Control of Walking Cycle Using A Discrete-time Model,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan , Vol.9, No.7, pp. 865-876, 1991.
-  A. Sano, J. Furusho, “Static-Dynamic Transitional Gait from Crawl to Pace,” Proceedings of JASME Annual Conference on Robotics and Mechatronics ’92 , Vol.B, pp.239-242, 1992.
-  H. Takeuchi, “Development of MEL HORSE,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1057-1062, 1999.
-  Septimus Sisson, revised by J. D. Grossman, “The Anatomy of the Domestic Animals” [4th ed.], Modern Asia Edition, 1961.
-  Yoshitaro Kato, Shoji Yamauchi, “Illustrated Dictionary of Comparative Anatomy of Livestock,” Yokendo, Revised 1995.
-  K. Kubo, T. Sakai, H. Sakuraoka, and K. Ishii, “Segmental Body Weight,” Volume and Mass Center in Thoroughbred Horses, Jpn. J. Equine Sci., Vol.3, No.2, pp. 149-155, 1992.
-  Toshiro Kamiya, “Zoology of Bones,” University of Tokyo Press, 1995.
-  S. Makita and J. Furusho, “Development of Horse-type Quadruped Robot-Report 1, Development of Mechanism and Control System of Quadruped Robot PONY-,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 442-450, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.