Reservoir Flood Routing Simulation for Dam Safety Management in Thailand
Rangsarit Vanijjirattikhan*,, Chinoros Thongthamchart**, Patsorn Rakcheep***, Unpong Supakchukul*, and Jittiwut Suwatthikul*
*National Electronics and Computer Technology Center
112 Thailand Science Park, Khlong Nueng, Khlong Luang, Pathum Thani 12120, Thailand
**Geotechnical Engineering Research and Development Center, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand
***Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, Nonthaburi, Thailand
A reservoir flood routing simulation software with spillway operation rules that are readable and configurable by the spillway operator is developed in this study. The software is part of the Dam Safety Remote Monitoring System used by the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand. The flood routing simulation is implemented using a storage-indication routing method, which is a hydrologic method. The spillway operation rules are exhibited in a tree-based structure, in which the spillway gate opening is derived from the current reservoir water level (RWL), spillway gate opening, and flood situation if the peak inflow has passed. The simulation results show that the simulated RWL is similar to the RWL data in the dam construction manual. This verifies the accuracy of the reservoir flood routing simulation, which is useful for planning the spillway operation.
-  “Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand,” https://www.egat.co.th/en/index.php [accessed September 23, 2020]
-  “International Commission on Large Dams,” https://www.icold-cigb.org/ [accessed September 23, 2020]
-  J. Jeon, J. Lee, D. Shin, and H. Park, “Development of dam safety management system,” Advances in Engineering Software, Vol.40, No.8, pp. 554-563, 2009.
-  “MIKE,” https://www.mikepoweredbydhi.com/products/mike-11 [accessed September 23, 2020]
-  “HEC-ResSim,” http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/software/hec-ressim/ [accessed September 23, 2020]
-  “SOBEK,” https://www.deltares.nl/en/software/sobek/ [accessed September 23, 2020]
-  S. Wichakul, Y. Tachikawa, M. Shiiba, and K. Yorozu, “Development of a Flow Routing Model Including Inundation Effect for the Extreme Flood in the Chao Phraya River Basin, Thailand 2011,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.8, No.3, pp. 415-423, 2013.
-  S. Shuai, X. Zheng, F. Li, S. Tian, and G. Lin, “Flood Routing Simulation and System Customization for a High-Leakage River Channel in China,” J. of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.139, No.6, pp. 656-663, 2013.
-  N. Ehsani, C. J. Vörösmarty, B. M. Fekete, and E. Z. Stakhiv, “Reservoir operations under climate change: Storage capacity options to mitigate risk,” J. of Hydrology, Vol.555, pp. 435-446, 2017.
-  T. Tingsanchali and L. Rewtarkulpaiboon, “Development of river basin flood management system by optimal reservoir operation and real time flood forecasting and warning: A case study of Pasak river basin,” Thai National AGRIS Centre, Kasetsart University, 2006 (in Thai).
-  Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) “National Engineering Handbook Hydrology Chapters,” https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/national/water/manage/hydrology/?cid=stelprdb1043063 [accessed August 14, 2020]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.