Measurements of Particle Distribution and Ash Fluxes in the Plume of Sakurajima Volcano with Optical Particle Counter
Jonas Elíasson*,**, Junichi Yoshitani**, Daisuke Miki**, Konradin Weber***, Christoph Bölke***, and Emad Scharifi***
*Earthquake Research Institute, University of Iceland
Austurvegur 2a, Selfoss, Iceland
**Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
***Environmental Measurement Techniques, University of Applied Sciences, Düsseldorf, Germany
-  C. Bonadonna and J. C. Phillips, “Sedimentation from strong volcanic plumes,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.108, No.B7, pp. 2340, 2003.
-  C. Bonadonna and B. F. Houghton, “Total grain-size distribution and volume of tephra-fall deposits,” Bulletin of Volcanology, Vol.67, No.5, pp. 441-456, 2005.
-  J. El’iasson, “The role of in-situ measurements of volcanic ash concentrations in preventing economic disasters due to volcanic ash clouds,” IDRiM Journal, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 48-60, 2014.
-  J. El’iasson, J. Yoshitani, K. Weber, N. Yasuda, M. Iguchi, and A. Vogel, “Airborne Measurement in the Ash Plume from Mount Sakurajima: Analysis of Gravitational Effects on Dispersion and Fallout,” Int. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 2014.
-  J. El’iasson, K. Weber, A. Vogel, T. Pálsson, J. Yoshitani, and D. Miki, “Investigation and separation of turbulent fluctuations in airborne measurements of volcanic ash with optical particle counters,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.11, No.1, Special Issue on Integrated Study on Mitigation of Multimodal disasters caused by Ejection of Volcanic Products, pp. 72-84, Feb., 2016.
-  M. T. Gudmundsson, T. Thordarson, Á. Höskuldsson, G. Larsen, H. Björnsson, F. Prata, B. Oddsson, E. Magn’usson, T. Högnadóttir, G. N. Petersen, C. Hayworth, J. Stevenson, and I. J’onsd’ottir, “Ash generation and distribution from the April-May 2010 eruption of Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland,” Scientific Reports, Vol.2, pp. 572.
-  S. E. Hillman, C. J. Horwell, A. L. Densmore, D. E. Damby, B. Fubini, Y. Ishimine, and M. Tomatis, “Sakurajima volcano: a physico-chemical study of the health consequences of long-term exposure to volcanic ash,” Bulletin of volcanology, Vol.74, No.4, pp. 913-930, 2012.
-  IAVCEI, 3 Oral presentations in the Scientific Assembly of the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior, July 20–24, 2013, Kagoshima, Japan.
-  L. G. Mastin, “A user-friendly one-dimensional model for wet volcanic plumes,” Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst., Vol.8, Q03014, 2007.
-  S. Perkins, “The importance of the aviation industry for the global economy,” Atlantic Conf. on Eyjafjallajökull and Aviation, 2010.
-  U. Schumann et al., “Airborne observations of the Eyjafjalla volcano ash cloud over Europe during air space closure in April and May 2010,” Atm. Chem. Phys., Vol.11, pp. 2245-2279, 2011.
-  T. Suzuki, “A Theoretical Model for Dispersion of Thephra,” Ar Volcanism: Physics and Tectonics, pp. 95-113, Terra Scientific Publishing Co, 1983.
-  J. P. Taylor, “Met Office Civil Contingency Aircraft MOCCA and Airborne Observations of Ash,” Workshop: Measurements and simulation of volcanic ash for civil aviation, 2012, http://www.hi.is/ umhverfistextunderscore ogtextunderscore byggingarverkfraedideild/measurementstextunderscore and textunderscore simulationtextunderscore of textunderscore volcanictextunderscore ashtextunderscore fortextunderscore civiltextunderscore aviation [accessed Aug. 22, 2015]
-  A. Tiesi, M. G. Villani, M. D’Isidoro, A. J. Prata, A. Maurizi, and F. Tampieri, “Estimation of dispersion coefficient in the troposphere from satellite images of volcanic plumes: Application to Mt. Etna, Italy,” Atmospheric Environment, Vol.40, pp. 628-638, 2006.
-  K. Weber, J. El’iasson, A. Vogel, C. Fischer, T. Pohl, G. van Haren, M. Meier, B. Grobéty, and D. Dahmann, “Airborne in-situ investigations of the Eyjafjallajökull volcanic ash plume on Iceland and over North-Western Germany with light aircrafts and optical particle counters,” Atmospheric Environment, Vol.48, pp. 9-21, 2012.
-  K. Weber, A. Vogel, C. Fischer, R. Reichardt, H. M. Moser, J. El’iasson, G. Löschau, “Airborne Measurements of Volcanic Ash Plumes and Industrial Emission Sources with Light Aircraft - Examples of Research Flights during Eruptions of the Volcanoes Eyjafjallajökull, Grimsvötn, Etna and at Industrial Areas,” Proc. of the 105th Annual Meeting & Exhibition San Antonio, Paper # 2012-A-432-AWMA, 2012.
-  L. Wilson, R. S. J. Sparks, T. C. Huang, and N. D. Watkins, “The control of volcanic column height dynamics by eruption energetics and dynamics,” Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol.83, No.B4, pp. 1829-1836, 1978.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.