Railway Structure Damage to the East Japan Railway Company by the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami
Susumu Mafune*, Hiroto Suzuki*, Torajiro Fujiwara**,
and Shin-ichiro Nozawa**
*Disaster Prevention Research Laboratory, East Japan Railway Company, 2-479, Nisshin-cho, Kita-ku, Saitama City, Saitama, Japan
**Structural Engineering Center, East Japan Railway Company, 2-2-2, Yoyogi, shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
The huge tsunami generated by a 9.0 Mw earthquake (off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake) and centered off the coast of Sanriku, Tohoku, on March 11, 2011, damaged 7 lines of the East Japan Railway Company. Bridge girders were swept away, piers were broken or tipped, and embankments and station buildings were swept away. This paper reports typical examples of railway structure damage due to this tsunami.
-  The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group, Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Information, Dec. 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.coastal.jp/ttjt/ [accessed March 2013]
-  S. Nozawa and T. Aoki, “Special Issue ‘The lessons and reconstruction of the Great East Japan Earthquake 2011 – Road·Railway·Port·Airport’ – Damage and Reconstrution of Railway,” THE FOUNDATION ENGINEERING & EQUIPMENT, Vol.40, No.4, pp. 33-38, Apr. 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Japan Weather Association, “Summary of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake (Part 3) Tsunami height·Inundation height of Aomori-Fukushima and Inundation of Aomori-Chiba,” April, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  Structual Engineering Center East Japan Railway Company, “Special issue on the 2011 of fthe Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake and railway structures,” Structural Engineering Data, No.37, 302p., Nov., 2011 (in Japanese).
-  S. Nozawa, H. Shirasaki, A. Wada, and M. Tomori, “Damage and restoration of the railway structures caused by The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earchquake,” Japanese Geotechnical Journal, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 127-137, Feb. 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Shobunsha Publications, Inc., “The map for supporting reconstruction of Tohoku district in Japan damaged by the Great East Japan Earthquake (Higashinihondaishinsai-fukkoushien-chizu),” 2011 (in Japanese).
-  T. Fujiwara, H. Shirasaki, M. Aoki, M. Okuyama, and Y. Masui, “Damage Analysis of Railway Embankments Attacked by Tsunami caused by the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Structural Engineering Data, No.39, pp. 12-21, May, 2012 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.