Damage Assessment on Electric Power Failures During the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake
Gaku Shoji*, Dai Takahashi**, Takuya Tsukiji***,
and Satoshi Naba***
*Division of Engineering Mechanics and Energy, Faculty of Engineering Information and Systems, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
**TIS, 8-17-1 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0023, Japan
***Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
We collected data on the March 11, 2011, Great East Japan Earthquake by surveying web sites related to power failures during 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku (northeastern Japan) and, in addition, by interviewing local government sectors and Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) branch office personnel. We quantify two damage ratios for power failures for subject municipalities defined by the ratio of the number of affected households and houses in a city to the number of related households and houses. This revealed the dependence of damage ratios on seismic intensities induced in subject municipalities. Damage functions related to power failures are then developed.
-  Cabinet Office and Government of Japan (2007), “About 2007 Niigata-ken Chuetsu-oki earthquake Part.9,”
http://www.bousai.go.jp/kinkyu/070724jishin_niigata/070724jishinniigata.pdf%EF%BC%89 [as of March 31, 2012]
-  N. A. C. Cressie, “Statistics for spatial data,” John Wiley and Sons, pp. 356-359, 1993.
-  Editorial Committee for the Report on the Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake Disaster, “Chapter 5, Electric Power Facilities,” Report on the Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake Disaster Damage and Restoration ofLifeline Systems, pp. 337-339, 1997.
-  K. Fujimoto and S. Midorikawa, “Relationship between average shear-wave velocity and site amplification inferred from strong motion records at nearby station pairs,” J. of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 11-22, 2006.
-  S. Hashimoto, “Chapter 7 Electric Power,” Summaries of Report on Damage caused by the 2004 Niigata-ken Chuetsu earthquake, pp. 117-122, 2004.
-  Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) (2011a), “Observatory stations for the Tohoku earthquake,”
http://www.seisvol.kishou.go.jp/eq/kyoshin/jishin/110311tohokuchiho-taiheiyouoki/index.html [as of March 31, 2012]
-  Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) (2011b). “Earthquake Information in the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku earthquake,”
http://www.seisvol.kishou.go.jp/eq/2011_03_11_tohoku/index.html [as of March 31, 2012]
-  Joint Research Committee of Four Societies in Tohoku Regions on the Iwate-Miyagi Earthquake, “Chapter 6, Section 3, Electric Power Facilities,” Report on the 2008 Iwate-Miyagi Earthquake Disaster, pp. 349-355, 2009.
-  Ministry of Economy and Trade and Industry,
http://www.meti.go.jp/committee/gizi_8/9.html#deryokuanzen_jisin_wg [as of March 31, 2012]
-  National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), “QuakeMap,”
http://qq.ghz.geogrid.org/QuakeMap/ [as of March 31, 2012]
-  National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED), “K-NET and KiK-net,”
http://www.kyoshin.bosai.go.jp/kyoshin/ [as of March 31, 2012]
-  N. Nojima, M. Sugito, Y. Suzuki, Y. Ishikawa, and T. Okumura, “Development of a two-step risk evaluation model for postearthquake serviceability of utility lifelines based on seismic intensity distribution,” JSCE J., No.724, I-62, pp. 225-238, 2003.
-  T. Sakurai, G. Shoji, K. Takahashi, and T. Nakamura, “Damage assessment on road structures due to slope failures in the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku earthquake,” Proc. of the Int. Symposium on Engineering Lessons Learned from the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, March 1-4, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 961-972, 2012.
-  H. Si, and S. Midorikawa, “New attenuation relationships for peak ground acceleration and velocity considering effects of fault type and site condition,” J. of Structural and Construction Engineering (Trans. of AIJ), No.523, pp. 63-70, 1999.
-  I. Suetomi and Y. Fukushima, “Evaluation of spatial distribution of ground motion in the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku earthquake,” The 66th Annual Meeting Proc. (CD-ROM), I-475, pp. 949-950, 2011.
-  Tohoku Electric Power Company, Inc. HP (2011), “Emergency Information,”
http://www.tohoku-epco.co.jp/emergency/9/index.html [as of March 31, 2012]
-  Tokyo Electric Power Company, inc. HP (2011), “Influence on facilities during the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku earthquake,”
http://www.tepco.co.jp/index-j.html [as of March 31, 2012]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.