Application of “Leak Before Break” Assessment for Pressure Tube in Delayed Hydride Cracking
Gintautas Dundulis*, Albertas Grybėnas**, Vidas Makarevicius**,
and Remigijus Janulionis*
*Laboratory of Nuclear Installation Safety, Lithuanian Energy Institute, Breslaujos str. 3, LT-44403 Kaunas, Lithuania
**Laboratory of Material Research &Testing, Lithuanian Energy Institute, Breslaujos str. 3, LT-44403 Kaunas, Lithuania
-  M. S. Ali, “An Historical Survey of Leak-Before-Break in Nuclear Plant Piping,” Power-Gen Worldwide, March 2010.
-  G. Wilkowski, “Leak-Before-Break: What Does It Really Mean?,” J. of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol.122, Issue 3, pp. 267-272, 2000.
-  B. A. Cheadle, A. Celovsky, M. Ghafoor, and W. Butt, “Assessment of the Integrity of KANUPP Fuel Channels,” CNA/CNS Conference, Fredericton, New Brunswick 1996 June 9 to 12, AECL-11710, p. 15, 1996.
-  M. P. Puls, B. J. S. Wilkins, G. L. Rigby, J. K. Mistry, and P. J. Sedran, “A probabilistic method for leak-before-break analysis of CANDU reactor pressure tubes,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.185, pp. 241-248, 1998.
-  C. Z. Serpan Jr, M. E. Mayfield, and J. Muscara, “US Nuclear regulatory commission research for primary system integrity regulations,” Nuclear Enginering and Design; Vol.171, pp. 1-14, 1997.
-  L. Xie, “The effect of characteristic crack sizes on the leak-beforebreak case of pressure vessels and piping with multiple cracks,” Int. J. of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol.76, pp. 435-439, 1999.
-  B. Ghosh, S. K. Bandyopadhyay, H. G. Lele, and A. K. Ghosh, “Estimation of crack opening area for leak before break analysis of nuclear reactor system,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.239, pp. 327-337, 2009.
-  J. W. Kim, “A practical application of an evaluation model for the restraint effect of pressure-induced bending on a plastic crack opening,” Int. J. of Pressure Vessels and Piping. Vol.85, pp. 557-568, 2008.
-  D. L. Rudland, G. Wilkowski, and P. Scott, “Effects of crack morphology parameters on leak-rate calculations in LBB evaluations,” Int. J. of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol.79, pp. 99-102, 2002.
-  L. Xie, “Multi-crack growth/coalescence simulation and its role in passive component leak-before-break concept,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.194, pp. 113-122, 1999.
-  Y. W. Park, S. S. Kang, and B. S. Han, “Structural integrity assessment of pressure tubes for Wolsong Unit 1 based on operational experiences,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.212, pp. 41-48, 2002.
-  Y. W. Park and Y. K. Chung, “Leak-before-break assessment of CANDU pressure tube considering leak detection capability,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.191, pp. 205-216, 1999.
-  G. Dundulis, A. Grybenas, A. Klimasauskas, V. Makarevicius, and R. Levinskas, “Ageing Assessment of RBMK – 1500 Fuel Channel in Case of Delayed Hydride Cracking,” Mechanika ISSN 1392-1207, No.1 (57), pp. 5-11, 2006.
-  V. Makarevicius, A. Grybenas, and R. Levinskas, “Controlled Hydriding of Zr-2,5%Nb Alloy by Thermal Diffusion,” Materials Science (Medziagotyra), Vol.7, No.4, pp. 249-251, 2001.
-  R. R. Hosbons, P. H. Davies, M. Griffiths, S. Sagat, and C. E. Coleman, “Effect of long-term irradiation on the fracture properties of Zr-2.5Nb pressure tubes. Zirconium in the Nuclear Industry,” 12th Int. Symposium, ASTM STP 1354, G. P. Sabol and G. D. Moan (Eds.), ASTM, West Conshohocken, PA, pp. 122-138, 2000.
-  J. Y. Oh, I. S. Kim, and Y. S. Kim, “A Normalization Method for Relationship between Yield Stress and Delayed Hydride Cracking Velocity in Zr – 2.5 Nb alloys,” J. of Nuclear Science Technology, Vol.37, No.7, pp. 595-600, 2000.
-  IAEA-TECDOC-1410, “Delayed hydride cracking in zirconium alloys in pressure tube nuclear reactors,” Final report of coordinated research project, 1996-2002, Vienna, 2004.
-  Ignalina NPP Unit 2 Safety Analysis Report, “Determination of Structural Integrity of Technological Channels During Operation. Final Report,” OIPab2-0745-50, Kaunas: Lithuanian Energy Institute, 126 p., 2002.
-  C. Coleman, M. Griffiths, V. Grigoriev, V. Kiseliov, B. Rodchenkov, and V. Markelov, “Mechanical Properties of Zr-2.5Nb Pressure Tubes Made from Electrolytic Powder,” J. of ASTM Int., Vol.4, No.10. Paper ID JAI101111, 2007. Available online at www.astm.org..
-  M. Daunys, R. Dundulis, A. Grybėnas, and P. Krasauskas, “Hydrogen influence on mechanical and fracture mechanics characteristics of zirconium Zr–2.5Nb alloy at ambient and elevated temperatures,” Nuclear engineering and design, Vol.238, Iss. 10, pp. 2536-2545, 2008.
-  Int. J. of Pressure Vessels and Piping, R. W. Nichols (Ed.), Vol.32, p. 327, 1988.
-  T. Anderson and L. Fracture, “Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications,” Boston, CRC Press Inc., -793 p., 1991.
-  P. Andersson, M. Bergman, B. Brickstad, L. Dahlberg, F. Nilsson, and I. Sattary-Far, “A Procedure for Safety Assessment of Components with Cracks – Handbook,” SAQ Kontroll AB, Stockholm, 1996.
-  N. Ghadiali, D. Paul, F. Jakob, and G. Wilkowsi, “SQUIRT (Seepage Quantification of Upsets In Reactor Tubes),” User’s manual. – Columbus: Battelle, 164 p., 1996.
-  F. Axisa, “CASTEM2000; Elements de Theorie et Exemples,” Rapport DMT/96-498, 1996.
-  “Guidance for application of the Leak Before Break concept at Ignalina NPP RBMK-1500 reactors,” VD-E-03-98. – Vilnius: VATESI, 35 p. 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.