Rebo: A Pet-Like Strokable Remote Control
Kazuki Kobayashi*1, Seiji Yamada*2,*3,*4, Shinobu Nakagawa*5,
and Yasunori Saito*6
*1Graduate School of Science and Technology, Shinshu University, 4-17-1 Wakasato, Nagano City 380-8553, Japan
*2National Institute of Informatics, 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda, Tokyo 101-8430, Japan
*3SOKENDAI, Shonan Village, Hayama, Kanagawa 240-0193, Japan
*4Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
*5Design Department, Osaka University of Arts, 469 Higashiyama, Kanan-cho, Minami Kawachi-gun, Osaka 585-8555, Japan
*6Faculty of Engineering, Shinshu University, 4-17-1 Wakasato, Nagano City 380-8553, Japan
-  B. LaPlant, S. Trewin, G.Zimmermann, and G. Vanderheiden, “The universal remote console: A universal access bus for pervasive computing,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 76-80, 2004.
-  C. Bartneck and M. Okada, “Robotic User Interfaces,” In Proc. of the Human and Computer Conf., pp. 130-140, 2001.
-  M. Heerink, B. Kröse, V. Evers, and B.Wielinga, “Relating conversational expressiveness to social presence and acceptance of an assistive social robot,” Virtual Reality, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 77-84, 2010.
-  M. Poel, D. Heylen, A. Nijholt, M. Meulemans, and A. van Breemen, “Gaze behaviour, believability, likability and the iCat,” AI & Society, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 61-73, 2009.
-  N. Matsumoto, H. Ueda, T. Yamazaki, and H. Murai, “Life with a Robot Companion: Video Analysis of 16-Days of Interaction with a Home Robot in a “Ubiquitous Home” Environment,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Human-Computer Interaction, Part II: Novel Interaction Methods and Techniques, pp. 341-350, 2009.
-  D. Sekiguchi, M. Inami, N. Kawakami, and S. Tachi, “The design of internet-based RobotPHONE,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Artificial Reality and Tele-existence, 2004.
-  N. Shimizu, N. Koizumi, M. Sugimoto, H. Nii, D. Sekiguchi, and M. Inami, “A teddy-bear-based robotic user interface,” Computers in Entertainment, Vol.4, No.3, p. 8, 2006.
-  S.Marti and C. Schmandt, “Physical embodiments for mobile communication agents,” In Proc. of the annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology, pp. 231-240, 2005.
-  J. Saldien, K. Goris, S. Yilmazyildiz, W. Verhelst, and D. Lefeber, “On the design of the huggable robot Probo,” J. of Physical Agents, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 3-10, 2008.
-  T. Shibata, K. Wada, Y. Ikeda, and S. Sabanovic, “Cross-Cultural Studies on Subjective Evaluation of a Seal Robot,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 443-458, 2009.
-  C. Stanton, P. Kahn Jr, R. Severson, J. Ruckert, and B. Gill, “Robotic animals might aid in the social development of children with autism,” In Proc. of the ACM/IEEE Int. Conf. on Human Robot Interaction, pp. 271-278, 2008.
-  S. Yohanan and K. E. MacLean, “A tool to study affective touch,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 4153-4158, 2009.
-  K. Kobayashi, Y. Nakagawa, S. Yamada, S. Nakagawa, and Y. Saito, “Interaction Design for a Pet-Like Remote Control,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Social Robotics, pp. 134-139, 2009.
-  K. Kobayashi, Y. Nakagawa, S. Yamada, S. Nakagawa, and Y. Saito, “Rebo: A Remote Control with Strokes,” In Proc. of the Int. Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 751-756, 2009.
-  J.-Y. Sung, L. Guo, R. E. Grinter, and H. I. Christensen, “My Roomba is Rambo: intimate home appliances,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Ubiquitous Computing, pp. 145-162, 2007.
-  K. Kobayashi, Y. Kitamura, and S. Yamada, “Action Sloping as a Way for Users to Notice a Robot’s Function,” In Proc. of IEEE Int. Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 445-450, 2007.
-  K. Kobayashi, S. Yamada, and Y. Kitamura, “Action Sloping for Increasing Awareness of Robot’s Function,” Trans. of Human Interface Society, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 37-46, 2008.
-  K. Kobayashi, K. Funakoshi, S. Yamada, M. Nakano, T. Komatsu, and Y. Saito, “Blinking Light Patterns as Artificial Subtle Expressions in Human-Robot Speech Interaction,” In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 181-186, 2011.
-  A. Austermann, S. Yamada, K. Funakoshi, and M. Nakano, “How do users interact with a pet-robot and a humanoid,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 3727-3732, 2010.
-  M. Wright and A. Freed, “Open Sound Control: A New Protocol for Communicating with Sound Synthesizers,” In Proc. of the Int. Computer Music Conf., pp. 101-104, 1997.
-  J. Nichols, D. H. Chau, and B. A. Myers, “Demonstrating the viability of automatically generated user interfaces,” In Proc. of the SIGCHI Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1283-1292, 2007.
-  J. Nichols, B. A. Myers, M. Higgins, J. Hughes, T. K. Harris, R. Rosenfeld, and M. Pignol, “Generating remote control interfaces for complex appliances,” In Proc. of the Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 161-170, 2002.
-  N. R. N. Enns and I. MacKenzie, “Touchpad-based remote control devices,” In Proc. of the SIGCHI Conf. on Human Factors in Computing systems, pp. 229-230, 1998.
-  S. Zhao, P. Dragicevic, M. Chignell, R. Balakrishnan, and P. Baudisch, “Earpod: eyes-free menu selection using touch input and reactive audio feedback,” In Proc. of the SIGCHI Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1395-1404, 2007.
-  V. Buil, G. Hollemans, and S. van de Wijdeven, “Headphones with touch control,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices & Services, pp. 377-378, 2005.
-  S. Brewster, J. Lumsden, M. Bell, M. Hall, and S. Tasker, “Multimodal ‘eyes-free’ interaction techniques for wearable devices,” In the SIGCHI Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 473-480, 2003.
-  M. Micire, J. L. Drury, B. Keyes, and H. A. Yanco, “Multi-touch interaction for robot control,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Intelligent User Interfaces, pp. 425-428, 2009.
-  J. Nichols, “Informing automatic generation of remote control interfaces with human designs,” In CHI’02 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 864-865, 2002.
-  R. Balchandran, M. E. Epstein, G. Potamianos, and L. Seredi, “A multi-modal spoken dialog system for interactive TV,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Multimodal Interfaces, pp. 191-192, 2008.
-  H. Osawa, R. Ohmura, and M. Imai, “Using Attachable Humanoid Parts for Realizing Imaginary Intention and Body Image,” Int. J. of Social Robotics, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 109-123, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.