A Neural Network Model of Students’ English Abilities Based on Their Affective Factors in Learning
Fitra A. Bachtiar*, Katsuari Kamei**, and Eric W. Cooper**
*Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji Higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
**College of Information Science and Engineering, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji Higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
-  D. Perkins and G. Salomon, “Transfer of Learning,” Int. Encyclopedia of Education, Second Edition, pp. 1-13, 1992.
-  D. Pratt and J. Collins, “The Teaching Perspective Inventory,” In Proc. of the 41st Adult Education Research Conf., 2000.
-  R. Felder and R. Brent, “Understanding Student Differences,” J. of Engineering Education, Vol.94, No.1, 2005.
-  R. Ellis, “Understanding Second Language Acquisition,” New York: Oxford University Press, 1995.
-  D. H. Brown, “Principles of Language Learning and Teaching,” New York: Pearson Education Inc., 5th edition edition, 2007.
-  M. Williams and R. Burden, “Psychology for Language Teachers: A Social Constructivist Approach,” Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
-  M. Immordino-Yang and A. Damasio, “We feel, therefore we learn: The relevance of affective and social neuroscience to education,” J. Compilation, Vol.1, No.1, 2007.
-  M. Obeidat, “Attitudes and Motivation in Second Language Learning,” J. of Faculty Education UAEU, Vol.18, No.22, 2005.
-  M. Wei, “The Interrelatedness of Affective Factors in EFL Learning: An Examination of Motivational Patterns in Relation to Anxiety in China,” TESL-EJ, Vol.11, No.1, 2007.
-  C. Halpern, “An Investigation of Linguistic, Cognitive, and Affective Factors That Impact English Language Learners’ Performance on A State Standardized Reading Achievement Test,” Ph.D. thesis, College of Education at the University of Central Florida, 2009.
-  N. A. Kumar and G. Uma, “Improving Academic Performance of Student by Applying Data Mining Technique,” European J. of Scientific Research, Vol.34, No.4, 2009.
-  Z. Karamouzis and A. Vrettos, “An Artificial Neural Network for Predicting Student Graduation Outcome,” In Proc. of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2008 (WCECS 2008), 2008.
-  Z. Ibrahim and D. Rusli, “Predicting Students’ Academic Performance: Comparing Artificial Neural Network, Decision Tree, and Linear Regression,” In 21st Annual SAS Malaysia Forum, 2007.
-  R. Lippman, “An Introduction to Computing with Neural Nets,” Vol.4, IEEE Trans. ASSP Magazine, 1987.
-  B. Bloom, M. Engelhart, J. Edward, and H.W. D. Krathwohl, “Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, Handbook I: The Cognitive Domain,” Longmans, Green and Co. Ltd., London, 1956.
-  E. Horwitz, M. Horwitz, and J. Cope, “Foreign Classroom Anxiety,” The Modern Language Journal, Vol.70, No.2, 1986.
-  C. Bishop, “Neural Network for Pattern Recognition,” Oxford University Press, 1995.
-  D. George and P. Mallery, “SPSS for Windows step by step: a simple guide and reference 4th edition,” Allyn and Beacon, 2003.
-  D. Rumelhart, J. McClelland, and P. D. P Research Group, “Parallel Distributed Processing: Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition,” Vols.1 and 2, MIT Press, 1986.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.