How AI-Type Uncertainty Ideas Can Improve Inter-Disciplinary Collaboration and Education: Lessons from a Case Study
Paulo Pinheiro da Silva, Aaron Velasco, Olga Kosheleva, and Vladik Kreinovich
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX 79968, USA
-  M. S. Aguiar, G. P. Dimuro, A. C. R. Costa, R. K. S. Silva, F. A. Costa, and V. Kreinovich, “The multi-layered interval categorizer tesselation-based model,” In C. Iochpe, and G. Câmara, Editors, IFIP WG2.6 Proc. of the 6th Brazilian Symposium on Geoinformatics Geoinfo’2004, Campos do Jordão, Brazil, November 22-24, pp. 437-454, 2004.
-  R. Aldouri, G. R. Keller, A. Q. Gates, J. Rasillo, L. Salayandia, V. Kreinovich, J. Seeley, P. Taylor, and S. Holloway, “GEON: Geophysical data add the 3rd dimension in geospatial studies,” In Proc. of the ESRI Int. User Conf. 2004, San Diego, California, August 9-13, Paper 1898, 2004.
-  M. G. Averill, “A Lithospheric Investigation of the Southern Rio Grande Rift,” University of Texas at El Paso, Department of Geological Sciences, Ph.D. Dissertation, 2007.
-  M. G. Averill, K. C. Miller, G. R. Keller, V. Kreinovich, R. Araiza, and S. A Starks, “Using expert knowledge in solving the seismic inverse problem,” In Proc. of the 24nd International Conference of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society NAFIPS’2005, Ann Arbor, Michigan, June 22-25, 2005, pp. 310-314, 2005.
-  M. G. Averill, K. C. Miller, G. R. Keller, V. Kreinovich, R. Araiza, and S. A. Starks, “Using Expert Knowledge in Solving the Seismic Inverse Problem,” Int. J. of Approximate Reasoning, Vol.45, No.3, pp. 564-578, 2007.
-  M. Ceberio, S. Ferson, V. Kreinovich, S. Chopra, G. Xiang, A. Murguia, and J. Santillan, “How to take into account dependence between the inputs: from interval computations to constraint-related set computations, with potential applications to nuclear safety, bioand geosciences,” In Proc. of the Second Int. Workshop on Reliable Engineering Computing, Savannah, Georgia, February 22-24, 2006, pp. 127-154, 2006.
-  M. Ceberio, V. Kreinovich, S. Chopra, and B. Ludäscher, “Taylor model-type techniques for handling uncertainty in expert systems, with potential applications to geoinformatics,” In Proc. of the 17th World Congress of the Int. Association for Mathematics and Computers in Simulation IMACS’2005, Paris, France, July 11-15, 2005.
-  A. Q. Gates, V. Kreinovich, L. Longpré, P. Pinheiro da Silva, and G. R. Keller, “Towards secure cyberinfrastructure for sharing border information,” In Proc. of the Lineae Terrarum: Int. Border Conf., El Paso, Las Cruces, and Cd. Juárez, March 27-30, 2006.
-  G. R. Keller, T. G. Hildenbrand, R. Kucks, M. Webring, A. Briesacher, K. Rujawitz, A. M. Hittleman, D. J. Roman, D.Winester, R. Aldouri, J. Seeley, J. Rasillo, T. Torres,W. J. Hinze, A. Gates, V. Kreinovich, and L. Salayandia, “A community effort to construct a gravity database for the United States and an associated Web portal,” In A. K. Sinha, Editor, Geoinformatics: Data to Knowledge, Geological Society of America Publ., Boulder, Colorado, pp. 21-34, 2006.
-  E. Platon, K. Tupelly, V. Kreinovich, S. A. Starks, and K. Villaverde, “Exact bounds for interval and fuzzy functions under monotonicity constraints, with potential applications to biostratigraphy,” In Proc. of the 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems FUZZ-IEEE’2005, Reno, Nevada, May 22-25, 2005, pp. 891-896, 2005.
-  C. G. Schiek, R. Araiza, J. M. Hurtado, A. A. Velasco, V. Kreinovich, and V. Sinyansky, “Images with Uncertainty: Efficient Algorithms for Shift, Rotation, Scaling, and Registration, and Their Applications to Geosciences,” In M. Nachtegael, D. Van derWeken, E. E. Kerre, andW. Philips, (Eds.), Soft Computing in Image Processing: Recent Advances, Springer Verlag, pp. 35-64, 2005.
-  A. K. Sinha, Editor, Geoinformatics: Data to Knowledge, Geological Society of America Publ., Boulder, Colorado, 2006.
-  R. Torres , G. R. Keller, V. Kreinovich, L. Longpré, and S. A. Starks, “Eliminating duplicates under interval and fuzzy uncertainty: an asymptotically optimal algorithm and its geospatial applications,” Reliable Computing, Vol.10, No.5, pp. 401-422, 2004.
-  Q. Wen, A. Q. Gates, J. Beck, V. Kreinovich, and G. R. Keller, “Towards automatic detection of erroneous measurement results in a gravity database,” In Proc. of the 2001 IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Conference, Tucson, Arizona, October 7-10, 2001, pp. 2170-2175, 2001.
-  H. Xie, N. Hicks, G. R. Keller, H. Huang, and V. Kreinovich, “An IDL/ENVI implementation of the FFT based algorithm for automatic image registration,” Computers and Geosciences, Vol.29, No.8, pp. 1045-1055, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.