Adapting Real Mobile Robots to Complex Environments Using a Pattern Association Network Controller (PAN-C)
Indra Bin Mohd Zin*, Fady Alnajjar**, and Kazuyuki Murase**,***
*Industrial Computing Research Group, Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, University Kebangsaan Malaysia, Malaysia
**Department of Human and Artificial Intelligence System, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
***Research and Education Program for Life Science, University of Fukui, Bunkyo, Fukui, Japan
-  J. Xiao, Z. Michalewicz, L. Zhang, and K. Trojanowski, “Adaptive Evolutionary planner/Navigator for Mobile Robots,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 1-1, pp. 18-28, 1997.
-  K. Murase, Md. Monirul Islam, T. Hirata, A Matsumoto, H. Akita, T. Asai, K. Sakai, T. Sasajima, M. Naruse, S. Terao, and M. Okura, “Chapter 3: Analysis and production of organized behavior in real environment with a mini-robot Khepera,” Evolutionary Robotics III (Applied Artificial Intelligence Book), Ontario, Canada, pp. 81-108, 2000.
-  S. Nolfi and D. Floreano, “Evolutionary Robotics: The Biology, Intelligence, and Technology of Self-organizing Machines,“ The MIT Press, 2000.
-  G. G. Yen and T. W. Hickey, “Reinforcement learning algorithms for robotic navigation in dynamic environments,” ISA Transactions, 43-2, pp. 217-230, 2004.
-  L. J. Lin, “Self-Improving Reactive Agents Based on Reinforcement Learning, Planning and Teaching,” Machine Learning, 8, pp. 293-321, 1992.
-  M. Rodríguez, R. Iglesias, C. V. Regueiro, J. Correa, and S. Barro, “Autonomous and fast robot learning through motivation,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 55-9, pp. 737-740, 2007.
-  S. Bhatnagar and K. M. Babu, “New algorithms of the Q-learning type,” Automatica, 44-4, pp. 1111-1119, 2008.
-  M. Nowostawski, L. Epiney, and M. Purvis, “Self-Adaptation and Dynamic Environment Experiments with Evolvable Virtual Machines,” Engineering Self-Organizing Systems, pp. 46-60, Springer-Verlag, 2005.
-  M. Likhachev, M. Kaess, and R. C. Arkin, “Learning Behavioral Parameterization Using Spatio-Temporal Case-Based Reasoning,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1282-1289, 2002.
-  M. Tan, “Cost-sensitive reinforcement learning for adaptive classification and control,” Proc. of the Ninth National Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 774-780, 1991.
-  N. Jakobi, “Minimal Simulations for Evolutionary Robotics,” Ph.D. thesis, School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences, University of Sussex, 1998.
-  F. Alnajjar and K. Murase, “Self organization of spiking neural network that generates autonomous behavior in a real mobile robot,” Int. Journal of Neural Systems, 16-4, pp. 229-239, 2006.
-  F. Alnajjar, I. B. M. Zin, and K. Murase, “A Spiking Neural Network with Dynamic Memory for a Real Autonomous Mobile Robot in Dynamic Environment,” Proc. of Int. Joint Conf. on Neural Networks, pp. 2207-2213, 2008.
-  W. Hamming, “Error Detecting and Error Correcting Codes,” Bell System Technical Journal, 29, pp. 147-150, 1950.
-  Developed by Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) Switzerland 2005. Available: http://www.e-puck.org.
-  D. Floreano and C. Mattiussi, “Bio-Inspired Artificial Intelligence: Theories, Methods, and Technologies,” The MIT Press, 2008.
-  S. Kim, M. Spenko, S. Trujillo, B. Heyneman, V. Mattoli, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Whole body adhesion: Hierarchical, directional and distributed control of adhesive forces for a climbing robot,” In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Rome, pp. 1268-1273, 2007.
-  X. Wang, Z. Hou, A. Zou, M. Tan, and L. Cheng, “A behavior controller based on spiking neural networks for mobile robots,” Neurocomputing, 71, 4-6, pp. 655-666, 2008.
-  Y. Adachi, H. Saito, Y. Matsumoto, and T. Ogasawara, “Memory-Based Navigation using Data Sequence of Laser Range Finder,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation, 1, pp. 479-484, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.