A Semantic Concept Operation Based on Fuzzy Document Ordering System and its Application to Reuter Database
Tadashi Ohashi, Hajime Nobuhara, and Kaoru Hirota
Tokyo Institute of Technology, G3-49, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8502, Japan
A fuzzy document ordering system (FOCUS) with a shrink operation is proposed to classify vast unknown documents on the Worldwide Web by changing the user’s viewpoint in hierarchical semantic concept structures. The shrink operation, a FOCUS semantic concept, is defined based on the user’s preference vector space and its hierarchical semantic concept structures developed using the concept System Dictionary (CSD) of the Japan Electronic Dictionary Research Institute (EDR). We demonstrate the effectiveness of the shrink operation in document ordering experiments by 5 subjects a using 20 known and 40 unknown documents extracted from the Reuter-21578 Database, i.e., shrinkage of the user’s preference vector space. We confirmed that precision obtained by FOCUS with the shrink operation exceeds that obtained by the conventional method without the shrink operation by over 20%. Processing time by our proposal is just 1/18 that of the conventional method (Pentium III, 550 MHz, Memory 256 MB).
-  K. Kita, K. Tsuda, and M. Shishibori, “Information Retrieval Algorithms,” Kyoritsu Publishing Company, 2002.
-  U. Abe, R. Fujino, S. Shimozono, H. Arimura, and S. Arikawa, “Text Data Mining: Applications to Browsing Large Document Collections and Web Data,” Journal of Japan Society for Artificial Intelligence, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 608-628, 2000.
-  S. Arikawa, M. Sato, T. Sato, A. Maruoka, S. Miyano, and Y. Kaneda, “The Discovery Science Project,” Journal of Japan Society for Artificial Intelligence, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 595-607, 2000.
-  K. Kishiwada, “Theory and Engineering of Information Retrieval,” Keiso Publishing Company, Tokyo, 1998.
-  G. Salton and C. Buckley, “Term Weighting Approaches in Automatic Text Retrieval,” Information Processing and Management, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 513-523, 1998.
-  Y. Takama and M. Ishizuka, “FISH-Eye Matching: A Document organizing Function Based on the Extraction of User’s Viewpoint Using Concept Structure,” Journal of Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 93-101, 1999.
-  Y. Takama and M. Ishizuka, “FISH VIEW System A Document ordering Support System Employing Concept-structure-based Viewpoint Extraction,” Journal of Information Processing Society of Japan, Vol.41, No.7, pp. 1976-1986, 2000.
-  T. Ohashi, H. Nobuhara, and K. Hirota, “Hierarchical Concept Structures based Data Retrieval/Mining by Fuzzy Document Ordering System,” Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.8, No.6, pp. 633-638, Nov., 2004.
-  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/
-  M. Leventhal, D. Lewis, and M. Fuchs, “Designing XML Internet Applications,” Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River 1998 (in Japanese), ISBN: 4-7561-3110-7, translated by ASCII, Jun., 1999.
-  http://www.iijnet.or.jp/edr/
-  B. Richardson and L. J. Mazlack, “Approximate Ontology Merging For The Semantic,” 23rd NAFIPS International Conference (NAFIPS2004).
-  V. Cross, “Fuzzy Semantic Distance Measures Between Ontological Concepts,” 23rd NAFIPS International Conference (NAFIPS2004).
-  J. Y. Kuo and J. Lee, “Evolution of Intelligent Agent in Auction Market,” FUZZ-IEEE2004 and ICNN2004.
-  http://www.imdb.com/
-  D. Dubois and H. Prade, “Fuzzy sets and systems: theory and applications,” Academic Press, 1980.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.