Study on Method for Avoiding Chatter Vibration by Changing Machine Tool Rigidity
Akio Hayashi, Okitoshi Shibata, and Yoshitaka Morimoto
Kanazawa Institute of Technology
7-1 Ohgigaoka, Nonoichi, Ishikawa 924-8501, Japan
Chatter vibration is a major problem in machining. At present, chatter vibration is avoided by changing the cutting conditions based on the stability limit diagram such that chatter vibration does not occur. However, changing the cutting conditions may reduce the productivity. The stability limit is estimated from the relationship between the dynamic characteristics of the machine tool and the cutting conditions. Therefore, we propose a method for avoiding chatter vibration by changing the machine tool rigidity. The dynamic characteristics of a desktop milling machine tool developed in a previous study can be changed by changing the tensile load of the brace bar attached on the frame. We report the transition of the dynamic characteristics and stability limit diagram with changes in the rigidity of the desktop machine tool, and confirm the presence or absence of chatter vibration through machining tests.
-  H. Cao, Y. Yue, X. Chen, and X. Zhang, “Chatter detection in milling process based on synchrosqueezing transform of sound signals,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.89, pp. 2747-2755, 2017.
-  F. Gök, S. Orak, and M. A. Sofuoglu, “The effect of cutting tool material on chatter vibrations and statistical optimization in turning operations,” Soft Computing, Vol.24, pp. 17319-17331, 2020.
-  H. Caliskan, Z. M. Kilic, and Y. Altintas, “On-Line Energy-Based Milling Chatter Detection,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.140, No.11, 111012, 2018.
-  Z. Li, Z. Wang, and X. Shi, “Fast prediction of chatter stability lobe diagram for milling process using frequency response function or modal parameters,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.89, pp. 2603-2612, 2017.
-  N. J. M. van Dijk, E. J. J. Doppenberg, R. P. H. Faassen, N. van de Wouw, J. A. J. Oosterling, and H. Nijmeijer, “Automatic In-Process Chatter Avoidance in the High-Speed Milling Process,” J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol.132, No.3, 031006, 2010.
-  X. Beudaert, O. Franco, K. Erkorkmaz, and M. Zatarain, “Feed drive control tuning considering machine dynamics and chatter stability,” CIRP Annals, Vol.69, No.1, pp. 345-348, 2020.
-  A. Matsubara, K. Takata, and M. Furusawa, “Experimental study of thin-wall milling vibration using phase analysis and a piezoelectric excitation test,” CIRP Annals, Vol.69, No.1, pp. 317-320, 2020.
-  J. Munoa, M. Sanz-Calle, Z. Dombovari, A. Iglesias, J. Pena-Barrio, and G. Stepan, “Tuneable clamping table for chatter avoidance in thin-walled part milling,” CIRP Annals, Vol.69, No.1, pp. 313-316, 2020.
-  S. Yamato, T. Okuma, K. Nakanishi, J. Tachibana, N. Suzuki, and Y. Kakinuma, “Chatter Suppression in Parallel Turning Assisted with Tool Swing Motion Provided by Feed System,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.1, pp. 80-91, 2019.
-  K. Jan, R. Jan, P. Bernd, D. Berend, and B. Benjamin, “Highly Dynamic Spindle Integrated Magnet Actuators for Chatter Reduction,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.5, pp. 669-677, 2018.
-  R. Kleinwort, P. Weishaupt, and M. F. Zaeh, “Simulation-Based Dimensioning of the Required Actuator Force for Active Vibration Control,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.5, pp. 658-668, 2018.
-  I. Mancisidor, X. Beudaert, G. Aguirre, R. Barcena, and J. Munoa, “Development of an Active Damping System for Structural Chatter Suppression in Machining Centers,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.5, pp. 642-649, 2018.
-  Y. Yamada, T. Kadota, S. Sakata, J. Tachibana, K. Nakanishi, M. Sawada, and Y. Kakinuma, “Integrated Chatter Monitoring Based on Sensorless Cutting Force/Torque Estimation in Parallel Turning,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 215-225, 2017.
-  L. Lu, M. Sato, and H. Tanaka, “Experimental Verification of Chatter-Free Ball End Milling Strategy,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.1, pp. 45-51, 2013.
-  H. Nakagawa, Y. Kurita, K. Ogawa, Y. Sugiyama, and H. Hasegawa, “Experimental Analysis of Chatter Vibration in End-Milling Using Laser Doppler Vibrometers,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.2, No.6, pp. 431-438, 2008.
-  Y. Altintas and E. Budak, “Analytical Prediction of Stability Lobes in Milling,” CRIP Annals, Vol.44, No.1, pp. 357-362, 1995.
-  N. Suzuki, Y. Morimoto, K. Takasugi, R. Kobashi, R. Hirono, Y. Kaneko, and Y. Tokuno, “Development of Desktop Machine Tool with Pipe Frame Structure,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.6, pp. 720-730, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.