Polygonization of Point Cloud of Tunnels Using Lofting Operation
Nao Hidaka*,†, Takashi Michikawa**, Ali Motamedi***, Nobuyoshi Yabuki*, and Tomohiro Fukuda*
*Division of Sustainable Energy and Environmental Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
**Photonics Control Technology Team, RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics, RIKEN, Wako, Japan
***École de Technologie Supérieure, Montréal, Canada
This paper proposes a novel method for polygonizing scanned point cloud data of tunnels to feature-preserved polygons to be used for maintenance purposes. The proposed method uses 2D cross-sections of structures and polygonizes them by a lofting operation. In order to extract valid cross-sections from the input point cloud, center lines and orthogonal planes are used. Center lines of the point cloud are extracted using local symmetry analysis. In addition, this research segments a point cloud of a tunnel into lining concrete, road, and other facilities. The results of applying the proposed method to the point clouds of three types of tunnels are demonstrated, and the advantages and limitations of the proposed method are discussed.
-  N. Yabuki, “BIM and Construction Information Modeling (CIM) in Japan,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Computational Design in Engineering (CODE 2012), p. 325, 2012.
-  M. Berger, A. Tagliasacchi, L. M. Seversky, P. Alliez, J. A. Levine, A. Sharf, and C. T. Silva, “State of the Art in Surface Reconstruction from Point Clouds,” Eurographics 2014 – State of the Art Reports, The Eurographics Association, 2014.
-  N. Hidaka, T. Michikawa, A. Motamedi, N. Yabuki, and T. Fukuda, “Polygonization of Point Cloud of Elongated Civil Infrastructures Using Lofting Operation,” Proc. of the 16th Int. Conf. on Construction Applications of Virtual Reality, pp. 677-688, 2016.
-  N. J. Mitra, L. J. Guibas, and M. Pauly, “Partial and Approximate Symmetry Detection for 3D Geometry,” ACM SIGGRAPH 2006, pp. 560-568, 2006.
-  V. Pătrăucean, I. Armeni, M. Nahangi, J. Yeung, I. Brilakis, and C. Haas, “State of Research in Automatic as-Built Modelling,” Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 162-171, 2015.
-  T. Czerniawski, M. Nahangi, C. Haas, and S. Walbridge, “Pipe Spool Recognition in Cluttered Point Clouds Using a Curvature-Based Shape Descriptor,” Automation in Construction, Vol.71, Part 2, pp. 346-358, 2016.
-  R. Miyazaki, M. Yamamoto, and K. Harada, “Line-Based Planar Structure Extraction from a Point Cloud with an Anisotropic Distribution,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.4, pp. 657-665, 2017.
-  S. B. Walsh, D. J. Borello, B. Guldur, and J. F. Hajjar, “Data Processing of Point Clouds for Object Detection for Structural Engineering Applications,” Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol.28, pp. 495-508, 2013.
-  N. Hidaka, T. Michikawa, A. Motamedi, N. Yabuki, and T. Fukuda, “Polygonization of Point Clouds of Repetitive Components in Civil Infrastructure based on Geometric Similarities,” Automation in Construction, Vol.86, pp. 99-117, 2018.
-  M. Kazhdan, M. Bolitho, and H. Hoppe, “Poisson Surface Reconstruction,” Proc. of the 4th Eurographics Symposium on Geometry Processing, SGP ’06, pp. 61-70, 2006.
-  M. Kazhdan and H. Hoppe, “Screened Poisson Surface Reconstruction,” ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol.32, No.3, p. 29, 2013.
-  A. Golshani, J. Mehdi, and M. Sina, “3D Numerical Modeling for Construction of Tunnels Intersections – Case Study of Hakim Tunnel,” Japanese Geotechnical Society Special Publication, Vol.2, No.43, pp. 1523-1527, 2016.
-  N. Yabuki and T. Aruga, “Development and Application of a Product Model for Shield Tunnels,” Proc. of the 30th Int. Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining (ISARC 2013), pp. 435-447, 2013.
-  L. Xue, S. Ono, A. Banno, T. Oishi, Y. Sato, and K. Ikeuchi, “Global 3D Modeling and Its Evaluation for Large-Scale Highway Tunnel Using Laser Range Sensor,” Monthly J. of the Institute of Industrial Science, Vol.64, No.2, pp. 155-160, 2012.
-  S. Han, H. Cho, S. Kim, J. Jung, and J. Heo, “Automated and Efficient Method for Extraction of Tunnel Cross sections Using Terrestrial Laser Scanned Data,” J. of Computing in Civil Engineering, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 274-281, 2013.
-  A. Tagliasacchi, T. Delame, M. Spagnuolo, N. Amenta and A. Telea, “3D Skeletons: A State-of-the-Art Report,” Computer Graphics Forum, Vol.35, Issue 2, pp. 573-597, 2016.
-  H. Blum, “A Transformation for Extracting New Descriptors of Shape,” W. Wathen-Dunn, ed, Models for the Perception of Speech and Visual Form, MIT Press, pp. 362-380, 1967.
-  A. Tagliasacchi, H. Zhang, and D. Cohen-Or, “Curve Skeleton Extraction from Incomplete Point Cloud,” ACM SIGGRAPH 2009, p. 71, 2009.
-  S. Vanna, H. Kawata, and T. Kanai, “A Robust and Centered Curve Skeleton Extraction from 3D Point Cloud,” Computer-Aided Design and Applications, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 869-879, 2012.
-  T. Michikawa, N. Yabuki, and T. Fukuda, “Lofting-based Shape Simplification of Building Models using Voxelization,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Civil and Building Engineering Informatics, 2015.
-  F. P. Preparata and S. J. Hong, “Convex Hulls of Finite Sets of Points in Two and Three Dimensions,” Communications of the ACM, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 87-93, 1977.
-  H. Edelsbrunner and E. P. Mücke, “Three-dimensional Alpha Shapes,” ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 43-72, 1994.
-  J. M. Lien and N. M. Amato, “Approximate Convex Decomposition of Polygons,” Proc. of the 20th Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry, pp. 17-26, 2004.
-  D. H. Ballard, “Generalizing the Hough Transform to Detect Arbitrary Shapes,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 111-122, 1981.
-  U. Ramer, “An Iterative Procedure for the Polygonal Approximation of Plane Curves, Computer Graphics and Image Processing,” Vol.1, No.3, pp. 244-256, 1972.
-  D. H. Douglas and T. K. Peucker, “Algorithms for the Reduction of the Number of Points Required to Represent a Digitized Line or Its Caricature,” Cartographica: The Int. J. for Geographic Information and Geovisualization, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 112-122, 1973.
-  R. B. Rusu and S. Cousins, “3D is here: Point Cloud Library (PCL),” 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1-4, 2011.
-  M. Garland and P. S. Heckbert, “Surface Simplification Using Quadric Error Metrics,” Proc. of the 24th Annual Conf. on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, SIGGRAPH ’97, pp. 209-216. 1997.
-  P. Cignoni, M. Callieri, M. Corsini, M. Dellepiane, F. Ganovelli, and G. Ranzuglia, “MeshLab: an Open-Source Mesh Processing Tool,” 6th Eurographics Italian Chapter Conf., pp. 129-136, 2008.
-  The American Institute of Architects (AIA), “AIA Contract Document G202™–2013, Project Building Information Modeling Protocol Form,” 2013. Available from: http://www.aia.org/aiaucmp/groups/aia/documents/pdf/aiab099086.pdf [Accessed: September 11, 2017]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.