Meal-Assistance Robot Using Ultrasonic Motor with Eye Interface
Kanya Tanaka*, Shenglin Mu**, and Shota Nakashima*
*Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Yamaguchi University, 2-16-1 Tokiwadai, Ube, Yamaguchi 755-8611, Japan
**Department of Electronic Control, Hiroshima National College of Maritime Technology, 4272-1 Higashino, Osakikamijima-cho, Toyota-gun, Hiroshima 725-0231, Japan
This paper proposes a meal-assistance robot that uses ultrasonic motors (USMs) and an eye-interface. The proposed robot is designed with simple manipulators moving in orthogonal coordinate axes to avoid unsafe motion and vibration. With the application of USMs, the proposed robot has excellent features. In particular, because it does not interfere with other electronic devices, the proposed robot is satisfactory choice for medical and welfare facilities. Moreover, the proposed robot is designed to be controlled with an eyeinterface, which makes this robot much easier to use than previous models. The structure of the robot is introduced and its effectiveness is confirmed by experiments.
-  M. Fujie, “Robots to Meet Care Needs,” Highlighting Japan through Articles, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 28-29, 2009.
-  J. L. Dallaway, R. D. Jackson, and P. H. A. Timmers, “Rehabilitation Robotics in Europe,” IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 35-45, 1995.
-  N. Tejima, “Rehabilitation Robotics: a Review,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.14, No.7, pp. 551-564, 2000.
-  Y. Kuriyama, K. Yano, and M. Hamaguchi, “Trajectory Planning for Meal Assist Robot Considering Spilling Avoidance,” Proceedings of 17th IEEE International Conference on Control Applications Part of 2008 IEEE Multi-conference on Systems and Control, pp. 1220-1225, 2008.
-  K. Tanaka and Y. Nishimura, “Development of Meal-Assistance Robot for People with Disabilities of Upper Limbs,” Life Support, Vol.22 No.2, pp. 25-30, 2010.
-  T. Mukai, S. Hirano, H. Nakashima, Y. Sakaida and S. Guo, “Realization and Safety Measures of Patient Transfer by Nursing-Care Assistant Robot RIBA with Tactile Sensors,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 360-369, 2011.
-  W. Song and J. Kim, “Novel Assistive Robot for Self-feeding,” Robotic Systems – Applications, Control and Programming, pp. 43-60, 2012.
-  D. McColl and G. Nejat, “Meal-Time with a Socially Assistive Robot and Older Adults at a Long-term Care Facility,” Journal of Human-Robot Interaction, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 152-171, 2013.
-  Y. Ohshima, Y. Kobayashi, T. Kaneko, A. Yamashita, and H. Asama, “Meal Support System with Spoon Using Laser Range Finder and Manipulator,” Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Workshop on Robot Vision (WoRV2013), pp. 82-87, 2013.
-  T. Tsuji, M. Yamada, and Y. Kaneko, “A Robot Measuring Upper Limb Range of Motion for Rehabilitation Database,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 515-520, 2013.
-  “Health Care and Welfare Measures for People with Physical Disabilities,” Annual Health, Labour and Welfare Report of Japan, 2011-2012.
-  M. Topping, “An Overview of the Development of Handy 1, a Rehabilitation Robot to Assist the Severely Disabled,” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol.34, pp. 253-263, 2002.
-  R. Topping, S. Ishii, and A. Fukase, “The Development of Mealassistance Robot “My Spoon”,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 88-91, 2003.
-  T. Kenjo and T. Sashida, “An Introduction of Ultrasonic Motor,” Oxford Science Publications, 1993.
-  K. Uchino, “Piezoelectric Ultrasonic Motors: Overview,” Smart Material Structure, Vol.7, pp. 273-285, 1998.
-  K. Adachi, “Actuator with friction drive: Ultrasonic motor,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.108, pp. 48-51, 2005.
-  C. Zhao, “Ultrasonic Motor-Technologies and Applications,” Science Press Beijing and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2011.
-  S. Mu and K. Tanaka, “Intelligent IMC-PID Control Using PSO for Ultrasonic Motor,” International Journal of Engineering Innovation and Management, Vol.1, pp. 69-76, 2011.
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Yoshimura, Y. Wakasa, T. Akashi, M. Oka, and S. Mu, “Variable gain type intelligent PID control for ultrasonic motor,” The Japan Society Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol.17, pp. 107-113, 2009.
-  T. Akashi, Y. Wakasa, K. Tanaka, S. Karungaru, and M. Fukumi, “Using Genetic Algorithm for Eye Detection and Tracking in Video Sequence,” Journal of Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 72-78, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.